View Single Post
December 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
I tried a recipe today that was posted the other day on another board. It looked so easy. The thought of the saltines creeped me out a bit but I was SOOO wrong!!

It was awesome! Easy! I can't boil water half the time and I was able to do this!

I did change the name for my kids. Camden asked what it was called and I said it didn't have a name so he suggested Reindeer Crunch. I thought it was cute compared to the alternative "Christmas Crack" although I can see why it's called that! When I was putting them in the bowl, I was like 'one for the bowl, one for me, one for the bowl, one for me'....

I'm going to give them out as teacher gifts along with a small giftcard to Tim Hortons.

Reindeer Crunch
1 sleeve saltine crackers
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 package chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and line a 10" x 15" with foil (the kind of sheet that has raised edges!). Spray with Pam, or grease VERY lightly with butter. Cover the cookie sheet with a single layer of saltines.

Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil (please don't mind my pans, old)

Boil for 3 minutes, stirring with a whisk.

Pour over the saltines, and try to spread it as evenly as possible.

Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. When you remove it, the caramel mixture will be molten and boiling; allow to cool about 3 min, or until you can see the crackers distinctly, which will have shifted while baking (MINE DIDN'T SHIFT). Push them back into order with a fork or knife.

Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the toffee and let sit for about 5 minutes to melt. Once melted spread chocolate evenly.

If desired, sprinkle on pecans and press lightly into the chocolate. Let cool a bit and then transfer to fridge to harden. Once hard, break the candy into small pieces and place in containers.

Some variations-I've used Semi Sweet with M&M candies, I've used chocolate and mint chips and also white chocolate. YUM!! These below are for teacher gifts.

Recipe found here

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!

Last edited by 2bluesandapink; November 16th, 2011 at 06:47 PM.