View Single Post
December 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Super Mommy
Since my insurance doesn't cover a lot of my fertility treatment, I did some research earlier in the year on medical expenses that may/may not be deductible with the IRS. Has anyone ever looked into this and/or listed the deduction on your tax return?

Here is the link from the IRS website: Publication 502 (2009), Medical and Dental Expenses

Here are a couple of points from the link above that I found of interest.

"How Much of the Expenses Can You Deduct?
You can deduct on Schedule A (Form 1040) only the amount of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5% of your AGI(Form 1040, line 38).

In this publication, the term “7.5% limit” is used to refer to 7.5% of your AGI. The phrase “subject to the 7.5% limit” is also used. This phrase means that you must subtract 7.5% (.075) of your AGI from your medical expenses to figure your medical expense deduction.

Example.

Your AGI is $40,000, 7.5% of which is $3,000. You paid medical expenses of $2,500. You cannot deduct any of your medical expenses because they are not more than 7.5% of your AGI.

Fertility Enhancement
You can include in medical expenses the cost of the following procedures to overcome an inability to have children.

• Procedures such as in vitro fertilization (including temporary storage of eggs or sperm).

• Surgery, including an operation to reverse prior surgery that prevented the person operated on from having children."

3 failed fresh IVFs, 1 failed FET
Surprise BFP in 12/10 after acupuncture & herbs!!
1 beautiful, perfect daughterl!