View Single Post
December 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Regular
My first was a hospital birth. When I got pregnant with my son, I knew I couldn't go back to the hospital, but dh was REALLY against it. As we got closer to my due date and my feelings grew stronger, I finally went behind his back and interviewed midwives. I found one I loved and knew I was doing the right thing. I tried talking to him about it some more, but finally I just dropped a pile of studies and articles concerning the safety of midwives and homebirth in his lap and told him to get on board, because we were having a homebirth whether he liked it or not! It was really that important to me...
He did his reading and met my midwife, and slowly came around. I think I was around 7 or 8 months along at the time. He was really just concerned with the "what if something happens" factor, and once the "experts" explained things to him, he felt a lot better. I think before that, he had this picture in his head of this old hag armed with a rusty pair of scissors was what midwifery was about...

Anyway, he was great at the birth, and when I got pregnant this time the first thing he said was, "Oh boy! Where are we going to find a midwife?" I've even heard him talking about homebirth with other dad's and stuff-- he's a total convert!