Topic: New Here :)
View Single Post
January 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! My name is Kristen. I'm 31 and mom to 5 kids (ages 12, 10, 5, 2, and a newborn son born 12/16/09). I had an extremely high risk pregnancy with tons of complications ranging from low amniotic fluid levels to being tentatively diagnosed with IUGR and I was antibody sensitized with the anti e, anti jka and parvovirus antibodies all of which can cause a hemolytic disease of the newborn.

My other kids are all very large for their age and were consistently in the high 90th percentiles for both height & weight. They never had weight gain issues ever and if anything the doctors were concerned that they were gaining too much weight, lol!

You can imagine my worry when during this recent pregnancy I was being told that he wasn't growing properly and that his limbs were at least 5 weeks behind the rest of his body and he was in the very low percentiles for weight. My Peri wanted to induce me at 36 weeks because of my antibody issues so Layne was born at 36 weeks on the dot. He was born pretty healthy and came out at 5 lbs 11.5 oz and 18.5 inches long, however he got all the way down to 5 lbs 5 oz. He is a very poor eater and pretty much sleeps ALL the time. He is finally back up to his birth weight but he is much slower to gain weight than my other kids. He's only in the 3rd percentile for weight so I have to bring him in every couple of weeks for weight checks.

The doc wants to closely monitor his growth patterns because of the problems I had during my pregnancy. At this point he is too young to know for sure if he has any type of growth restriction issues, but the doc said once he gets a little older and they have more data they will know what types of tests to run on him if any.

This is new territory for me since my other kids were all really large for their age. Layne is still wearing preemie clothes & diapers and he just seems so tiny & fragile compared to my other kiddos. I hope to get to know all of you better and it's nice to know there are others out there who understand what i'm going through