View Single Post
January 10th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Super Mommy
Hello I am new here to this board! I am a mommy to my almost 2 year old daughter and my 4 month old son!

Before having my daughter I knew I wanted to breastfeed. I went to the classes, read some books and talked to breastfeeding mommies included my mother who breastfeed my brother and I for over a year with no problems! Right after I had my daughter I started breastfeeding her and it was soo painful. I kept trying it and it was like pins and needles and by the next day I had cracked bleeding nipples. I talked to a LC about the problems and she worked with me for about 2 hours and she said my daughter didn't want to open her mouth to get enough of the nipple. I was getting soo discouraged and decided I couldn't take the pain anymore so I bought a pump and decided to exclusively pump for my daughter. I was doing well for about 3 months and then my supply started to really dwindle and I ended up stopping pumping and giving my daughter formula. I felt like I failed her because I stopped breastfeeding and then pumping didn't work so she wasn't getting breastmilk anymore. Thankfully she is a healthy toddler today and I knew with our 2nd child I wanted to try to breastfeed!

When I found out I was pregnant with our 2nd child I had gotten soo much advice and heard success stories about woman being able to breastfeed! I knew this would be my last chance because this is our last baby so I had my hopes really high. Thankfully for me right after my son was born he latched on right away and it was painless! It was such an amazing feeling to enjoy nursing without the pins and needles feeling. He has taken to nursing soo well and we have no issues soo far and I have a great supply. He is 4 months old and nurses about every 2-3 hours for about 10-15 minutes each side and he even sleeps through the night most nights I also pump once in a while to build up a supply if I have to leave for more than a couple of hours. My son is 17 pounds and he has never even had an ouce of formula so he is growing very well, he he! We have a wonderful breastfeeding bond and I feel soo greatful that I have gotten the experience to breastfeed and I hope to be able to do it at least a year!

So my advice is to remember just because you didn't or weren't able to breasfeed one child doesn't mean you won't be able to breastfeeding your other children!

I just wanted to add that my son is now 2.5 years old and we are still breastfeeding!

Skyla Helen- Feb 2nd, 2008
Tyler Lyman- Sep 6th, 2009

Quinn Kayden- Aug 17th, 2013

My kids are growing up soo fast!

Last edited by mommy2skyty; April 30th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.