View Single Post
January 13th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I agree, the positions you labor and push in usually have more to do with it than the size of your baby. Tell us about your last labor, how far along were you when they decided to do the c-section? What positions did you labor and push in?
When I was in labor with Seamus, they induced me (broke my water) at 40w2d because of high blood pressure (that went back to normal after my water broke )... it's a little hazy trying to remember back, but I remember trying to use the birthing ball (and almost falling on my butt! lol), I used some water therapy, and just tried to move my hips a lot. I didn't really know what I was doing... as the midwife was hardly ever there and I don't remember her giving me any kind of direction when she was there (this was a very cruddy hospital. Their midwife program sucked bad. I think maybe once or twice did I see the same midwife twice... but pretty much every appointment I saw a different midwife. Never got close to anyone. Went through three shifts of midwives during my labor... and I had never met either three before that day). They gave me pitocin... then some kind of pain medication... then an epidural... probably pitocin again. After 15 hours, they sent the OB in who pressured me into a c-section. I don't know if I actually "needed" the c-section or not (Seamus was going in distress during every contraction... but that could have been from the Pit... and he had the cord wrapped around his neck twice... so I don't know).

It ended up being me in bed most of the time.

Fortunately, I've been trying more techniques this time... and I'm at a much much better hospital with a really good midwife program. I have two midwives, and have gotten close to both. They're both very supportive of my VBAC and have been there for me from day 1. I'm a lot more confident about the birth this time around.

I'm not so much letting the fears "get to me"... it's just something I've had in the back of my mind that wasn't really brought to the front until it was mentioned at my last appt. And while I'm not stressing out about it... it *IS* something that I'm kind of worried about. I know short women can give birth naturally (I have a friend the same height as me who gave birth completely naturally), but I also know that even though women are short, we're all shaped differently and have differently sized babies. My friend who gave birth naturally, her baby was under 7 lbs. I also know that a lot of the times it has more to do with the position of the baby rather than the size (and I've been doing techniques to try and reposition), but my fear is that sometimes it DOES have to do with the size/shape of mother and baby. Maybe my pelvis really is too narrow. And that's what I'm worried about. I'm trying to do what I can to get the best possible outcome, but that fear that I might not be able to do it is still in the back of my mind.

I am hoping for the best though, and really striving to get it! I have a lot more support this time, as opposed to last time... so that definitely helps. I don't have a birth ball, but I have been using the toilet. And I've been doing some pelvic twists and things like that. It may have already worked too... because I'm not having any back pain anymore... even when I had a couple contractions. So maybe she's already turned! *crosses fingers* I'm not afraid or anything... this is just me voicing my main concern... but I'm very hopeful and I won't be giving up!!