View Single Post
January 17th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Cheryl~ birth truster
I just had my second appointment on Thursday with my midwife. I got there on time, and didn't have to wait at all. There were also 3 student midwives/apprentices there, 2 who I had met before who are brand new and one who I had not met before who has been with her for over a year. They made me tea and gave me apple slices and cheese. It's so nice and inviting in her home and her office, you just hang out and talk for most of the hour, ask questions you have etc.

Then they took my blood pressure, I weighed myself (although they don't even make you, it's your choice) and then they feel my belly and measure. I gotta say, it's pretty awesome. Other than getting measured, I don't remember anyone feeling my belly when I was pregnant with Cadie, other than my Doula at the very end of my pregnancy. They also tested my urine.

I am really liking the lack of technology! I asked about hearing the heartbeat on the fetalscope, it's still too early. She did say she has a doppler but she doesn't use it unless asked, and I declined. I can wait. Next appointment we should be able to hear it.

It just feels so warm and loving, and I actually feel cared for. What a difference!

Also, we talked a little about my ties with the community and other moms etc, and I started crying. I have had such a hard time making friends here. I have friends, but none too too close (closest with a kid is Monica, she's 45 minutes away which isn't too bad, but I really have been feeling heartbroken because Cadie has no playmates close to her age near by) and the ladies with kids that I have tried to get friendly with in my town (meeting them at the gym) are not beating down my door for friendship beyond a quick chat here and there. Still nursing my 2 year old and getting ready for a homebirth...not exactly really appealing material for most of these ladies around here.
They know a lady who lives close by me (they are 40 minutes away from my house so this isn't really their neighborhood) who had 2 homebirths with them, so she got me her email address. She has a 4 year old girl and a 1 1/2 year old girl too. That's pretty sweet!!! Hopefully I can make a connection there.

I have to post some pics from Cadie's party last weekend, hopefully I can do that today or tonight.