View Single Post
January 21st, 2010, 06:35 PM
(rebeccabaltimore)
My son's death could have been prevented.

Let me say that again.

MY SON'S DEATH COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED.

I live every day knowing that if I had been more aware, if the doctors (who I don't fault and still see for care) had been more aware, MY SON WOULD STILL BE ALIVE.

Not a lot of moms, even here on the stillbirth board, can say that.

My blindness to my son's illness was not willful. Diabetes is quite often symptomless. My own symptoms were misattributed to just being pregnant. And every day of my life I have to live with the guilt of knowing that if I had known just a little bit more my son would still be alive.

His name was Ethan. He was 5 ounces when he was born. He kicked me once, and I'll never forget it. He had big feet just like his Dad. He was my firstborn.

And he is why I cannot stand by and watch women CHOOSE to be WILLFULLY BLIND. I don't care if fetal movement scares you. How do think I feel? Like I don't worry 1000% more than you do? I called my OB at midnight THIS PAST Saturday, terrified because this baby wouldn't move. (He's fine by the way0.

So while I recognize that you weren't happy with the wording, those aren't the DDC complaints that were upsetting to me. It was the women who decided that "I'm very scared by this" is a good excuse not to do something that will save the life of your baby.

Yours truly,
The woman who spends every day wishing she could have done something to save her oldest son.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!