View Single Post
January 21st, 2010, 06:59 PM
Dynamite w/ a laser beam
I wish I knew more about kick counts. I specifically wish that my OB and my perinatologists told me how to determine kick counts for twins. I just felt "movement" during my 1st pregnancy -- kicks, rolls, flutters, all of it. But I had no idea how I should've been tracking them.

I had no idea if it was Julia kicking me or Noah kicking me. Julia was on my right in front; Noah was on my left more in back. When I felt kicks on my left side, I assumed it was Noah. Never in my life would I have guessed that there might be a way to do kick counts for twins. Never in my life would I imagine that my son was dead for three weeks before the doctor discovered that his heart wasn't beating.

Do I have a gut instinct? Yes, about many things. Sadly, the death of my son in utero was not one of them. Had I known about the seriousness of kick counts, he might've very well been saved.

I believe this time around, kick counts may have saved Sydney. I went to L&D upon the directive of my perinatologist when I barely felt her move 4 days before she was supposed to be delivered via scheduled C-section. A non-stress test showed a strong heartbeat. The nurses and on-call OB sent me home. I had an appointment with my perinatologist the next morning anyway. The perinatologist quickly determined why I was feeling decreased fetal movement the day before -- I was low on amniotic fluid and he immediately checked me into L&D because Sydney was going to be delivered that day.

Just felt the need to share my story.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*