View Single Post
February 10th, 2010, 05:38 AM
My other car is a TARDIS
I grew up very close to Oviedo,FL - I actually went to school in Oviedo. It is a nice place to raise a family and there is a lot of affordable housing there now that the housing bubble has burst in FL. However, after living in FL for the first 28 years of my life I will say you only have 2 seasons there - summer and not summer... lol I it VERY hot in the summer. I moved out of FL almost 7 years ago and haven't missed it at all. We just moved to SC this past fall and so far I love it here. The weather is awesome and there are actually 4 seasons that aren't too extreme. It's been a bit cooler than normal this winter, but having spent the past 6 winters in WI, it hasn't really bothered me too much. If you are looking for good weather, seasons, and the water (ocean and lakes) I would definitely look at both North and South Carolina. As for the home criteria you have, I am not really sure. I know in the area of SC that I live in you could get a lot for that kind of money - but, we are in the extreme NW part of the state, so a good 4 hours from the beach...lots of lakes though - and the mountains too. When looking at homes closer to the beach, you need to take into account hurricanes and the cost of insurance for homes close to the coast. I know in FL it's nearly impossible to get homeowners insurance because of all the recent hurricanes. State Farm is actually canceling thousands of policies and is not writting new ones. Oh, and before this gets too long, since you mentioned Oviedo, it's about a 40 - 45 minute drive to the coast, but you then have to go either north or south a bit to get to a beach since the Kennedy Space Center and National Seashore are directly to the east. New Smyrna Beach and Daytona are to the north, and Cocoa Beach is to the south. Have fun researching new places to live - how exciting

Thanks Kristy (*Kiliki*) for the awesome siggy!!