Topic: GD test?
View Single Post
February 23rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Platinum Super Mommy
When I was pregnant with Kate, my midwives policy and practice was to test if you had risk factors. I guess in the time since Kate was born, their policy has shifted. They had a mom who went to 43 weeks and they knew the baby was big. She went to the hospital to get induced because of how late she was and the estimated size of the baby (this was obviously after trying natural inductions with my midwives). The OB on call wouldn't even induce her and did a c/s right there because they didn't know her GD status. I guess our midwives got some flack for not doing the test.

Their current practice is to offer the test to everyone and if you refuse to sign a refusal form that they will keep in your chart. I decided I'd do it this time, based on the way they do it. There is no fasting, just the recommendation to eat a healthy high protein breakfast then to come in, drink a juice box of Welch's 100% white grape juice (it has the same sugar content as the glucola and tastes a lot better). Then they test your blood after your appt. I honestly don't mind doing it. I've already refused the 3 hour test though. No way in heck I'm doing that.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!