View Single Post
March 3rd, 2010, 07:25 AM
Jennifer the Momma
How different they can be. I've had two UCHBs and they were totally different. With dd I had bh contractions like crazy for most of the pregnancy, and especially the last weeks before her birth. Then I woke up in the middle of the night to go pee and had a totally different contraction. I had no clue what a TRUE labor contraction would feel like since I was induced with ds1, but I knew right away that it was baby time. Labor with dd was pretty quick, only 4 1/2 hours from the contraction to my last push. Ds2 was completely different. He was posterior with a nuchal hand and labor started Sunday evening and didn't end until later afternoon Wednesday.

I was surprised at how much of labor I could tolerate alone. With dd's 4 hour labor I spent the first 2 alone before I woke dh up. With ds2's labor, I spent all but the last 2 hours alone when I really needed dh to squeeze my hips with all his strength. I was also surprised to learn that it's quite easy for me to get to 4-5cm, but going from 5-6 takes a while...I was 4-5cm dilated when labor started with both of them, and spent the majority of labor getting to 6cm. Once I get to 6cm, I go quickly. I was also surprised at how much easier it was to push once my water was broken. I tried pushing with it intact both times, but was not impressed and broke my water and the baby came out pretty quickly.

My favorite thing about homebirthing (besides not sharing those precious first days with strangers)...life went back to normal pretty much immediately. I was up and making breakfast and taking care of the kids. The day after dd was born dh had to go back to work. Homebirth makes birthing normal and a part of our everyday life.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.