View Single Post
March 6th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
I'm with your hubby. (Sorry... don't hate me! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetybabies View Post
IBut the more frequently they do math problems, the more they see a pattern and begin to remember the basic math facts.
See this is EXACTLY how I feel. The more you use it, you WILL memorize it w/o the stupid speed drills. And we are talking about addition tables here... not multiplication tables. I whole-heartedly agree that we should memorize the multiplication tables... it's the addition tables that I don't agree with.

This all came about b/c of a friend's son (who I am about to start tutoring BTW Which is GREAT b/c it's gonna give us a little bit of extra money to use for Austin's curriculum next year)... he's in 4th or 5th grade (at a private Christian school & may be even younger than 4th or 5th... I'm not good with looking at someone & telling their age ). Anyway, the kid knows how to add & is doing well in math until the speed drills. He is failing the speed drills & thus needs a tutor. IMHO, he obviously knows how to add... that's good enough. Especially when I think of myself... no I'm not a human calculator like my husband b/c I never memorized them but then again I'm a visual learner... always have been & I have to actually visualize it or write it on paper... that's just who I am. And not to brag but I'm VERY good at math (always have been) even though yes, I'm a little slower at getting the answer & I NEVER memorized addition... multiplication, yes; addition, no.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!