View Single Post
March 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Regular
I see tha value in being able to recall the facts quickly and so I think speed should be a goal. I think that more complex problems could take a very long time if the basic facts aren't recalled quickly.

However, I don't think it is the most important thing. I think speed will come over time for those who don't accomplish it right away and I don't think you should wait to reach a certain speed before moving on the more difficult concepts.

I also don't know how I feel about timed tests for every child. My oldest son couldn't get through a timed test on paper with any kind of speed for the life of him, but if I go through flashcards with him and count how many he has gone through in a minute, there is proof that he can recall them very quickly. I'm not sure what the difference is ( I don't think the time it takes to write the problem would affect his score such to create the differences that are present in his speed in the different methods), but I won't make him "fail" at the paper timed test on a regular basis and ruin any chance he has of enjoying math.

Last edited by crstarlette; March 7th, 2010 at 07:25 AM.