View Single Post
March 8th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're homeschooling the little one at least until K (hopefully longer...and I'd love for her sister to come home, too), and I just follow her lead. There will be days that she'll want to do 20 pages in her Singapore math book and some days that she doesn't want to do anything structured at all. She's young enough that it doesn't matter at all to me.

We just recently started to do about 15-30 minutes a day of structured learning time. We do it wherever we want to do it...outside on the swing, on the couch, at the table, or at the park. I even ask her math facts or how to spell something while she's riding her bike around the neighborhood. That's what's so fun about it...we can do whatever works for us.

Hooked on Phonics is a great program, and it's what I used for my oldest when she was four. The little one didn't like it as much, but she pretty much taught herself how to read anyway after she learned her letters/sounds from the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD. She also loved Learn to Read with phonics and we are currently using the Explode the Code series along with readers and just pointing out different rules of phonics and that kind of thing in our day-to-day lives (and then she applies them to her own reading).

It sounds like you're on the right track. Just keep it fun.