View Single Post
March 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey Kiwi, welcome to the board. It's a slow board, so it'd be great if you posted!! I'd love to have this board a little more active, because there are times when I really need it.

I also have major depressive disorder, OCD, anxiety (generalized & social). And like you, I am worried about passing on mental illnesses to my son. They run in my family and his father's family. Both of our families have Bipolar, ADHD, Depression, and Anxiety in them... sooo. It worries me too!!! But I know it's also completely out of my control, and it's not going to be my fault if he DOES happen to have a mental illness.

Plus, like Michelle said, we'll have some experience and we won't be going through it in the dark. Like when my sister was first diagnosed with ADD (idk, 15 years ago maybe), I remember my mother crying for days, because she had no idea what it was, how it was giong to affect my sister, etc. So at least we will have the knowledge and we won't freak out like my mom did, lol.

Oh, and my sister is also bipolar, and she just had a son. So I'm sure she's pretty worried too. But we really can't dwell on it, you know? Because there's also a good chance that our children won't inherit any of our illnesses!! So try not to stress too much.