View Single Post
March 21st, 2010, 09:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Lady View Post
I think I'd say "you're pretty sick to tell a pregnant woman you think she and her baby are going to die, you *****" but that's just me lol
I'd be tempted to respond that way... But I think what I would actually say would be something like this...

While I can see how one might assume that were the case, studies have never found hospital births to be safer than homebirth. In fact homebirths have been linked to reduced unnecessary medical intervention (Olsen, O. Meta-analysis of the Safety of Home Birth. Birth. 24(1): 4-13, 1997), reduced rate of tearing and episiotomy (Aikins Murphy P, Feinland JB Perineal outcomes in a home birth setting. [Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, USA.] Birth 1998 Dec;25(4):226-34), a lower combined rate of intrapartum and neonatal mortality and a lower incidence of cesarean delivery with an added benefit of a 68% reduction in cost (Anderson RE. Anderson DA. [Dept. of Economics, Centre College, Danville, KY 40422, USA. ] The cost-effectiveness of home birth. Journal of Nurse-Midwifery. 44(1):30-5, 1999 Jan-Feb.) as well as several other benefits detailed in even more recent studies.

It is unfortunate that we live in a society that does not educate it's women with such facts. It is especially unfortunate that those who suffer for it are pregnant and birthing women who need and deserve support but are instead met with fear mongering and horror stories. No wonder it's safer to give birth in Kuwait than California. (Giving birth in California more dangerous than Kuwait or Bosnia? Rise in mortalities puzzles experts)
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler