View Single Post
April 25th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I plan on doing year round school. Here's a few of the reasons why:

* No having to spend a month reviewing the previous material before really getting into the new curriculum.

* You can take a slower pace on subjects that are not easy for your child.

* No break to the routine. A few months of all play and no school might make it hard to get a wiggly child to be willing to sit and do school.

* It's not like my husband gets the summer off and we could go vacation all summer, so why not do school then?

* You can take vacations when your family needs it, rather than during peak vacation season.

* To make school only four days a week.

For example, during the school year, do school 4 days a week. You'll get 4/5 of the reading and math done. Most other subjects don't need a full five days, so they'll be done during the normal school year. To fill in the other 1/5 of reading and math, do light schooling in the summer where you do only reading and math 4 days a week.

That means you could have a day off each week for field trips, co-ops, outside activities like gymnastics or swimming, take a break from curriculum and do learning games instead, or use that day to get things like grocery shopping done.