View Single Post
April 26th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I can see both sides of this so I think the best idea would be to come up with some kind of compromise. Maybe somehow split the room in half. On one side would be a space used completely for your stepson and the other half would be the desk and a few things that you need to store in there. I'm not saying but a wall up in the middle of the room, but you can create an imaginary line that lets your stepson have his own space and at the same time give you the storage space you need. I don't see the need to paint the whole room or get into a complete room makeover, but I think that putting up some decorations for him on his side of the room wouldn't be a bad thing. It's kind of what we do for my daughter because I want to share a room with her while she's young. We have one wall that we decorate for her and keep her dresser and things and the rest of the room is ours as far as decorating and what not.

Something I am really worried about in this situation is that you are starting to isolate your stepson from you and your kids. He is getting treated differently and that's really not fair and it's not going to help your situation at all. But I'm not putting the blame entirely on you, DH isn't innocent in this situation. He has to realize that everyone should be treated equal as well and he can't be afraid to disipline his son just because of his ex. Unfortunately, that's going to be a tough battle to fight. We've been a blended family for awhile now and that's something I'm still having trouble with, it's getting better but it still needs improvement.

The bottom line is that you and DH need to be on the same page with all the kids and they should all be treated equally. Not doing this is just going to create a lot of anger and resentment and it's also likely to make your stepson's bad behavior worse. Your kids might even start acting out because they see that acting out gets them what they want, which sounds like to me is already starting to happen.

I do hope things start to get better for you and you and DH can get things straightened out. Good luck.