JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2006 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1828-2006-playroom/)
-   -   Talking to your kids about Newtown (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1828-2006-playroom/2606642-talking-to-your-kids-about-newtown.html)

Twinkle December 18th, 2012 11:03 AM

Talking to your kids about Newtown

Have you talked to your children at all about the school shooting last week?

Jaidynsmum December 18th, 2012 02:25 PM

Re: Talking to your kids about Newtown

Jaidyn saw it on the news and said "Just like Dunblane". Dunblane happened nearly 17 years ago and those 16 children and their teacher have never been forgotten. I told her it was just like Dunblane, but people aren't allowed guns in Scotland any more, so school is perfectly safe for her. She asked why they are allowed to in America, I could only shrug.

Julka December 18th, 2012 04:47 PM

No, I don't really see the need to scare a 4 and 6 year old. They did bring some pamphlets from the school on how to deal with stress for kids who do know what happened and how to determine stressful behavior, etc. But DH & I don't see the need in speaking to them about this incident specifically, we feel they're too young. If they do hear about it from someone, then we will discuss it.

Just_Marie December 18th, 2012 10:42 PM

I did mention it briefly to Nolan since its all over the news, and encouraged him to ask questions. So far he hasn't asked anything. I did not specifically tell him the ages of the victims or anything to detailed. He's pretty good with spilling things that are on his mind, our relationship is pretty open, they can ask me just about anything.

clouise December 22nd, 2012 09:47 AM

Yeah, I talked to my kids about it. I mean this is the world we're living in. We said a prayer for the people who were killed. We talked about what gunfire might sound like and what they should do if they hear it. We talked about how some of the people chose to be brave and what they did.

Starzy January 1st, 2013 12:12 PM

I haven't yet. I don't believe Madelyn could fathom the reality of why and the possibility it could happen to their school. I have a hard enought time making sense of it, I didn't believe she would process it well.

wildchihuahua January 1st, 2013 05:13 PM

I did a general stranger awareness talk with my son (which I do periodically anyway), and did talk about what he should do if someone he doesn't know comes into his classroom, but that was about it. He doesn't need that worry just yet.