JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2007 Birth Stories (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f426-2007-birth-stories/)
-   -   Kaley Marie (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f426-2007-birth-stories/836725-kaley-marie.html)

melkissa2004 December 7th, 2007 07:12 PM

After being 12 days late, I was still not dilated or effaced one bit. My doctor would not induce as I would most likely end up needing a c-section due to lack of progress in labor and they had already estimated Kaley to be over 9 lbs. They predicted I would have trouble delivering a baby more than 8.5 lbs vaginally as my pelvis is rather narrow. So we went ahead and scheduled a c-section for Thursday November 15, 2007 at 11:30 AM.
As the November DDC tradition was to go into labor before your scheduled induction or c-section, I went into labor around midnight before my scheduled c-section. I was timing my contractions and they were 5-6 minutes apart consistently but the pain was bearable so I slept as much as I could and just decided to go to the hospital tomorrow like scheduled for the surgery. I didn't sleep much in between contractions, peeing a million times, the baby moving, being so overdue and feeling uncomfortable. Somehow I managed and we got up around 7 AM to be at the hospital at 9:30 AM. I double checked my hospital bags and we headed out.
We arrived to the hospital at about 9:25 AM to get settled into our room and do all the pre-op stuff. My nurse ended up being an old friend from high school which was neat. They got my hooked up to the monitors and IV's and started asking the most random and evasive questions ever... FUN STUFF =)
They were surprised to see my contractions were 3-5 minutes apart and off the charts. I was in some pain... Seemed to be a lot of back labor- but I'm not positive. They didn't do an internal because my c-section was already scheduled and a vaginal birth would have been incredibly risky due to Kaley's predicted size. So I hung out contracting and talking to DH until 11:00 AM. At this point they start dressing my DH in scrubs and putting the net in my hair and everything. My nurses had changed into operating scrubs too. It was becoming so real! My doctor was running a bit behind from the previous surgery he had done- so we hung out for a little while. At about 11:45 AM my doctor came in and said "Are you sure you wanna do this today? I'm kinda hungry and could go for some La Nop." (La Nop is a popular mexican restaurant around here) I almost strangled him! I told him they better get this baby out before I do!!!
They started wheeling me to the OR. I was so nervous!!! DH had to wait outside until I got my spinal.
The anesthesiologist gave me the spinal and it IMMEDIATELY took effect. Apparently faster than usual because I couldn't even move my legs to get them up on the operating table. So the nurses pulled my legs up on the table and they started to get all of their tools out. The nurses were joking with the doctor about their boyfriends coming over for lunch and how their husbands didn't know... I chimed in and said "Me too, but don't tell my husband." It lightened the mood up a lot.
Next thing I knew they start cutting me open but DH wasn't in the room yet. The spinal went up a bit higher than expected and I couldn't feel myself breathe. I started to freak out. DH finally came in the room and held my hand. I felt like I was going to throw up so she gave me some more oxygen and some kind of medicine. My throat started to feel really dry and I was begging for ice chips but they couldn't give me anything. It sucked.
At 12:13 PM Kaley was born. The minutes leading up to it, I heard the doctor commenting saying "Oh yeah, she's a big one. Look at those linebacker shoulders! Wow, she's got lots of hair." I was so nervous. Then I heard her scream! :inlove:
She didn't stop screaming until they took her out of the room, lol. I felt some tugging when they pulled her out but nothing major. I was mostly annoyed because I felt like I couldn't breathe and my throat was really dry. They cut the cord and did the initial inspection stuff and I couldn't really see her because of the curtain. I could only see her foot. I kept asking what she looked like and they just kept saying "She's beautiful!" I asked DH and he said the same thing. He had tears in his eyes- it was so sweet. Finally, they wrapped her up and brought her to DH and he brought her to my head. She was still crying. I gave her a kiss on the forehead and told her I loved her. Then they left to go to the nursery.
This is where things went downhill... I really started to freak out because my throat was so dry and I couldn't breathe well. I started crying so they knocked me out completely for about 15 minutes while they finished stitching me up. I woke up in the recovery room about 20 minutes later. I was shaking really bad and I itched everywhere that I could feel on my body, which was basically my upper chest and my face. It was AWFUL and the stupid staff still wouldn't give me ice chips. I started to get angry and then they finally brought me ice chips. I felt MUCH better but I was still shaking and itching really bad. The nursery called in the room and gave us the stats:
Kaley Marie was 9 lbs, 4 oz, 20" long, and apgars 9/9.
I wanted to see her so bad!!! DH finally brought her in the recovery room. We were only supposed to be in that room for an hour- but ended up there for almost 4 hours so we could wait on a private room. It was worth the wait though.
Anyways, we immediately tried to breastfeed but it was incredibly hard in between me convulsing and itching. I could hardly hold her. I have flat nipples (sorry TMI) which made it even more difficult.. and she had zero patience and was just angry that it wasn't happening quick enough. I really think they woke her up when they did the c-section. hahaha. She was grumpy.
Finally, after what seemed like hours of trying, we got her to latch on but it hurt like hell. Breastfeeding went fairly smooth the rest of the hospital stay until we got home and my milk came in. She couldn't latch on anymore, and every nursing session ended up with me and her both crying and frustrated. She breastfed for 1 week and I pumped for a little over 2 weeks exclusively. At about 3 in a half weeks, we switched her to formula completely. We are all much happier now but I will definitely miss nursing and the bonding we shared.
Here's some pics of miss chunky butt:
Kaley
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...en/002_002.jpg
Me and Kaley
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...en/005_005.jpg
DH and Kaley
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...en/010_010.jpg
Me, DH, and Kaley
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...en/012_012.jpg
Thanks for reading :smile:

5LilMonkeys December 7th, 2007 07:45 PM

Sweet. :D Your birth story sounds alot like mine. :)

fairy9800 December 12th, 2007 04:10 AM

AWWW that sweet. Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS!!!!