JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2007 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1829-2007-playroom/)
-   -   Speech at 5 years old (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1829-2007-playroom/2618565-speech-5-years-old.html)

Mom2IrishTwins January 25th, 2013 06:33 PM

Speech at 5 years old

I'm just wondering if anyone else's LO is having speech problems?
My son is starting to see a speech therapist. Actually, he has one at the school he's in who is working with him 3 days a week and a speech therapist that comes in once a week from the child development center to work with him. He struggles quite a bit with his speech. For people like myself who have been around him all the time, they find it impossible to understand him...at all.

He has definitely improved some, but I'm noticing now that my daughter is starting to use my sons words, rather than saying things the right way.
I'm not too sure what to do other than what I am doing already. Which is correctly their speech, breaking down the words, a lot of rhyming stories and poems, etc.

Is anyone else going through this and if so, what strategies are you using to work through it?

LJD3Tdance January 28th, 2013 12:42 AM

Re: Speech at 5 years old

I knew some others who had been through in the old PR I was in, but I'm not so I don't have any real comments on it. That's great though that help is being given :).

mousemomof3 January 28th, 2013 07:41 AM

Hi My son had speech isssues. His was more on the articullation side of things. He went to a speech therapist and had extra help at school. Now my daughter is getting help for her articullation in words cause she speed talks and doesn't announciate her words clearly enough. Sounds like you are doing great with your kids.

mommy2Breana+Brandon January 31st, 2013 12:23 PM

Breana is in speech therapy at school. She has a hard time with pronounces them right

~MamaTutu~ February 13th, 2013 10:43 AM

My daughter stutters quite a bit, but the doctor has told me it's nothing to be concerned about yet and the teacher hasn't noticed anything because DD is super quiet at school. She talks non-stop at home though, so I notice it a lot. When she gets caught in a loop, I'll ask her to start over and she'll take her time and get her idea across without any issues.

It sounds like you're doing good. If you have concerns about your daughter, maybe the speech therapist could offer some insight.

Angela2912 April 27th, 2014 01:43 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I'll post anyways lol. My son has a speech problem but it's related to him having Autism. So his problem is more of a delay than an impediment. Behavioral therapy has actually helped the most, but that's specific to his type of delay.

Anyways beyond the therapy he's had the most helpful thing was TONS of repetition. He'd say it wrong, and we wouldn't even respond, we'd just say it back correctly, have him say it the best he could, then we'd go on with the conversation.

Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be!