JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2008 Birth Stories (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f547-2008-birth-stories/)
-   -   Miracle baby Hughie (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f547-2008-birth-stories/1182492-miracle-baby-hughie.html)

Bluebayou August 7th, 2008 04:49 AM

My story is a long one. I found out I was pregnant on January 21 with an at home pregnancy test. My test was confirmed at the doctors a few days later. We were so happy! (this was our first baby)

A few months into the pregnancy I started spotting. All ultrsounds showed nothing wrong, the doctors could not tell me why I was bleeding. I was ordered to complete bed rest. I left work on sick leave. Things seemed to be getting better until early June, when I started cramping really badly and bleedling profusely. I also lost my mucous plug. I immediagtely went to my gyn who said that it was not my mucous plug. I went home feeling worried and knowing that something was wrong. Low and behold a few days later I started having bad contractions and bleeding became even worse. I went to the hospital and they said that I was indeed having contractions and the ultrasounds showed that I had lost most of my water (IT WAS MY MUCOUS PLUG THAT I HAD LOST A FEW DAYS EARLIER, GOD I HATE MY DOCTOR!!!) I was admitted to the hospital on June 6th and was given steroid shot to speed up the baby's lung growth. I was told I would remain in the hospital until the baby was born, whenever that was. I was also told that there were no level 3 neonatal intensive care beds available in Ontario and was told that there was a bed open in Chicago and that I would be air lifted there. I did not want to be separated from my family at this point (I was extremely scared) so I took a chance and said I'd wait another few days for a hospital in Canada. On June 9th they found me a bed in a Toronto hospital and immediately my contractions became worse and about 4-5 minutes apart. They rushed me to the new hospital. My contractions subdued for a few hours. On June 10th about 1:00 AM the contractions came even worse and I was dialted to 4 cm. They rushed me to the OR because the baby was breach and I required an emergency c-section. In the OR they gave me a spinal tap which didnt work, so they then tried to give me an epideral which also didnt work, it wasnt numbing me as fast as i was dialating. They had to put me to sleep (after i protested for about 15 minutes because i was extremely scared, I DO NOT LIKE BEING PUT TO SLEEP!!!). I finally gave in and at about 2:30 AM Little Hughie Jr. was born. He weighed 795 grams!!. He wasnt responding, and neither was I . We lost all our vital signs also I lost over a litre of blood. They were able to get us going again. They put hughie on a ventialtor which damaged his lungs. They then switched him to a differnt type of vent. His lungs collapsed twice in the first month, he also has had 4 blood transfusions (because premature babies blood cells dont mature as fast as ours do). After the surgery the doctor told me I had an almost complete placental abruption and that is why I was bleeding that hole time. He said that sometimes ultrasounds will not show an abruption, especially if it is behind the placenta.

In the first month and a half, hughie reuired a high amount of oxygen. He had a pic line in his arm to his heart. He had a pneumonia and a lung infection!.

I am glad to say now that he is doing much better. His oxygen reuirments have decreased from 80 % down to 30 %. He now weighs almost 4 lbs!! He's even begining to get a personality. He's such a good baby. He never cries!!! Hes just the cutest and I thank god that he is here. Evertime I look at him now I cant believe I wated so long to have children. Everyone count your blessings and be grateful for what you do have and never take anything for granted! In the first few days after his birth I was feeling so ######ed sorry for myself and him. I felt cheated and I felt like I had lost something even though he was still with us. I felt cheated out of everything, baby shower, a normal pregnancy....I quickly snapped out of that mode when I realized my energy should be spent on my son and helping him get better with prayer and doing little things for him like praying alot! And never under estimate the power of prayer. I used to be a non believer but now I believe!

Amalia

emmjay August 7th, 2008 06:19 AM

I glad to see your birth story up here. And I'm even happier to hear that Hughie is doing well. I try to check on you down in the Preemie/NICU board to see how he's doing, and I couldn't be happier that he's growing and getting stronger.

Thanks for sharing your story!!

Mrs.Reesa August 7th, 2008 06:25 AM

I've been wondering how the two of you were doing! I am so happy to hear that Hughie is doing so well! That is such wonderful, wonderful news!!!!!!! I will continue to think of you guys!!

Bluebayou August 7th, 2008 06:52 AM

:bluecheer: thank-you :)

LeahBonilla August 7th, 2008 07:10 AM

Yay Hughie!! What a strong little fighter!! :bluecheer: Thank you so much for sharing your story with us and congrats on your beautiful baby boy!! I'll be thinking of you and your family, praying for Hughie's speedy stay in the NICU. Keep us posted!!

~*~Nicole~*~ August 7th, 2008 08:48 AM

What a strong little man! I also check in on you in the NICU board to see how he is doing! He sounds like he is doing great and putting on a ton of weight! He truly is a miracle!

~ Christine ~ August 7th, 2008 08:51 AM

It is so great to hear how you and Hugie are doing. I am so glad that he is doing so well! :bluecheer: You and Hugie are in my thoughts and prayers for continued progress and growth!

Boo August 7th, 2008 08:56 AM

I'm very happy you decided to post your birth story and to hear that Hughie is doing well! :bluecheer: Thank you for taking the time to post this!!

Olivia&DelilahsMommy August 7th, 2008 08:57 AM

How exciting to read your story. I am so glad baby Hughie is such a strong fighter...you guys have went through some rough times! Please keep us all updated on how he continues to grow and get even stronger :)

woohoo502 August 7th, 2008 09:05 AM

Thank you for sharing Hughie's birth story with us. I am so glad he is doing so well in he NICU. What a little fighter!!! Congrats again on your little man!

MinDB August 7th, 2008 09:21 AM

glad you both are doing well and thank you so much for sharing your story with us!
:dothug:

3Sapphires August 7th, 2008 09:33 AM

Thank you for posting your story!

I am so glad Hughie is doing well! I am always looking to hear more good news from you!

3Sapphires August 7th, 2008 09:33 AM

Thank you for posting your story!

I am so glad Hughie is doing well! I am always looking to hear more good news from you!

BABYandris August 7th, 2008 10:38 AM

so glad that he is doing well..here's to him making more progress :bluecheer: :)

..Michelle.. August 7th, 2008 11:13 AM

Congrats to you for staying so strong, you go girl!! Big hugs to baby Hughie for continuing to grow and get stronger. Thanks for posting, I really needed a pick-me-up today! :dothug:

:yellowcheer: :bluecheer: :yellowcheer: :bluecheer: :yellowcheer: :bluecheer: :yellowcheer:

~NS~MaMa~ August 7th, 2008 01:01 PM

Thank you for posting your story here..
I am so glad Hughie is doing well in NICU... He certainly is a fighter...

heatherrose415 August 7th, 2008 04:33 PM

Awwww, he is such a fighter, what a miracle. Thanks so much for posting his story, he is amazing!!! Im so glad hes doing so well

slpliz August 7th, 2008 06:27 PM

I'm glad Hughie is doing so well!!!

NYCmom2Bella August 7th, 2008 07:48 PM

What a beautiful story. Hughie is such a fighter and I love your outlook!!!!! Best Wishes!

minxiesse August 8th, 2008 03:58 AM

I'm sorry you had to go through so an ordeal and your ******* doctor! I'd be mad with him too!

Congratulations on a beautiful baby boy! Glad he is doing well and hope you are keepin strong too!

:dothug: