JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2008 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/)
-   -   Exercise and AF (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/1854738-exercise-and-af.html)

MommyToCooper January 29th, 2010 05:46 AM

Exercise and AF

Have any of you experienced late or missed periods because of working out?

AF is late, I'm generally every 28-30 days and started on 12/24 which means I'm about a week late. I'm not thinking that I'm pregnant and think it may be from increasing my exercise.

I went from three total runs in December to running 4 times a week this month plus other stuff like yoga/pilates. While I'm not doing anything extreme (normal 30-60 minute workouts) I'm wondering if it's enough to make my period stop or be late.

Anyone had this happen to them?

jillylicious January 29th, 2010 06:16 AM

Re: Exercise and AF

Hmm! Never happened to me, but it makes sense.

Kai and Gabby's Mom January 29th, 2010 06:49 AM

Meagan, I never had that issue when I was running long distances and working out. I would give it a few more days and then test just to be sure.

youngwoman January 29th, 2010 07:39 AM

It's never happened to me but I remember reading that can happen when you increase your exercise.

DonovinsMommy January 29th, 2010 08:16 AM

I have late cycles but never that late. I would test just to be certain and if nothing then don't worry about it. When you body regulates to your new work out routine it will return...ugh :)

MommyToCooper January 29th, 2010 08:32 AM

Guess I'll be POAS this weekend. Boy would I be surprised if it's positive!

Thanks for the responses.

4boys January 29th, 2010 11:08 AM

I haven't had this either but I have heard of it happening. Maybe you just ovulated a bit later than normal (happens to me ALL the time) so that would make AF late as well. Did you have any stress in your life around when you would have ovulated? Any amount of stress makes my body freak out and not ovulate.

MommyToCooper January 29th, 2010 11:13 AM

Nope, not particularly stressed out. And I'm pretty much like clockwork with my cycle.

4boys January 29th, 2010 04:18 PM

Hmmmm....well, keep us posted then!

KellersMom517 January 29th, 2010 04:52 PM

I did know a woman that hardly ever had a period because she was OBSESSED with working out - like hardcore, she kinda looked like a man cause of it. So it definitely is affected by exercise, maybe your body is just getting used to a new workout routine.
Keep us posted!:)

Mama Theo January 29th, 2010 05:19 PM

I think it's possible that this month might be out of whack while you're body adjusts. If you're body is panicking about the new routine, it doesn't want to throw a baby in the mix. If you keep up this intensity (which isn't out of control, just more than you're used to) I'm sure it will come back next month, when you're body realizes there's nothing to worry about.