JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2008 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/)
-   -   ovulation pain (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/2479325-ovulation-pain.html)

bostoncreampie January 23rd, 2012 09:19 AM

ovulation pain

Once you feel ovulation pain, is it too late to conceive? Doesn't the pain mean that ovulation is happening? By the time you'd get to doing the deed, it would be too late right? I forget. Thanks!

1stbaby January 23rd, 2012 10:31 AM

Re: ovulation pain

I may be way off, but I think you have a chance to conceive for up to 24 hours AFTER you feel the ovulation pain. So I believe you could still DTD closely after and end up preggers and don't forget that sperm can live up to 72 hours.

Are you thinking you may be in the 2ww? If so planned, unplanned, excited?

mylene169 January 23rd, 2012 11:05 AM

I'm pretty sure Holly is right. Ovulation pain is usually the egg popping out of the ovary and the fluid irritates the surrounding tissue. At least that's how it was basically explained to me in the ER one night after suffering from Mittleschmerz all day and thinking I was dying. An egg "lives" for about 24 hours and sperm a few days longer. So I suppose it's possible if viable sperm was there waiting for the egg. And it's also possible if you DTD withing 24 hours of ovulation. That's why when you're TTC'ing they say to DTD for 3 days before and 1 day after ovulating.

IneedCoffee January 23rd, 2012 11:12 AM

You are still fertile if you feel the pain.. as far as I am aware of. I feel a numb aching for a few days, then one day of intense pain, then a day of dull aching again. So I am assuming the intense pain is O.. and the dull aching is leading up to it and the aftermath. And from what I have read you are fertile a few days before and the day after.

bostoncreampie January 23rd, 2012 02:15 PM

I'm not in the 2ww, I have had 2 PP AFs and have been charting only symptoms, and every month I have felt O pain with EWCM for 2 days and then got AF 10-11 days later, so I think I am spot on. We may be TTC soon though so I am just trying to educate myself on how to be in tune with my body if we decide to give it a go this month.

1stbaby January 23rd, 2012 02:54 PM

Thsi month.....oh this is exciting. I didn't realize you guys were so close to trying again. I must say I am jealous. I have been wanting to TTC for awhile, but it's not in the cards for us right now.

*Cyndee* January 24th, 2012 05:49 AM

I'm opposite being cyst prone, o pain usually means it's a cyst or folicle collapse. Its the months that I didn't have pain I got pregnant.

bostoncreampie January 24th, 2012 01:01 PM

After we had Sam I hemorrhaged a lot and was told to wait until Sam was 2.
I have a lot of serious stress around it happening again and possibly losing my uterus or going into shock from the loss of blood, it sucks. If we do have another, it will be in a hospital under a high risk OBGYN probably.

Joliving4Jesus February 1st, 2012 09:44 PM

O pain means that O is about to occur and you can still become pregnant doing it then, eggs generally only live 12 hours but can live up to 24 hours, sperm generally takes 6-8 hours to reach the egg so even if the egg only lives 12 hours, dtd right then can still allow the sperm to reach it in time. The best way to conceive is having sperm ready and waiting for the egg that is released so dtd a few hours before the egg drops is best but you can still become pregnant doing it when it releases and after it releases, depending on how long that particular egg decides to live, between 12-24 hours. I hope if you go for # 3 that everything goes well!