JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2008 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/)
-   -   Procrastination at bed time (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/2627775-procrastination-bed-time.html)

ethansmom0408 February 21st, 2013 05:31 AM

Procrastination at bed time

How are your kids doing with bedtime?

Ethan goes to bed at 7:45. He picks a toy to sleep with, gets his teeth brushed, potty, water, book and hugs and kisses. For the past couple of months it's gotten worse every night. He calls me over the monitor because he wants more water, another hug, needs his covers fixed, needs me to kiss his eye because it hurts, etc. This goes on from 7:45-8:45 or 9. In the meantime I'm trying to get Mason ready for bed. It's frustrating and I try not to lose my patience with Ethan. I'm hoping that Ethan is super easy when dh goes away for work next month for a week. I'm going to explain that I'm on my own and need him to be a bug helper.

Julka February 21st, 2013 05:56 AM

Re: Procrastination at bed time

Yeah, Veronika does similar stuff. Actually, sometimes after she goes back into her room, DH & I just sit and laugh because the excuses she comes up with to leave her bedroom can be pretty original... "When I bend my finger like this, not like that, but like this, it HURTS." Or, "When I hold my Nemo up, I see his shadow on the wall and it's scary."

We also fill her sippy cup with water before bed and explained to her that if she chooses to drink the whole thing right away, she's not getting more water. That makes her upset, but we give it to her because it gets dry a bit at night during the winter, for those cases, not to drink the whole thing before bed.

Also, my DH puts Sebastian to sleep while I deal with the girls. It's easier that way. They only start cleaning their toys at 7:30pm.. then bath, teeth, story, and goodnight. Usually, they are both in bed by 8:30pm and we allow up to 30 minutes of talking (they share a room); usually, by 9pm they are both asleep but if they're still talking, we go in there and make them say goodnight to each other.

youngwoman February 21st, 2013 06:12 AM

Leah tries to procrastinate too. Lately, she's taken to walking really slowly to her bedroom or slowly putting on her pajamas. :rolleyes: Most nights, she goes to bed pretty quickly once I leave the room, but she does call us on occasion with an excuse. Last night, she called me in because she said her hair was in her eyes. I told her to brush it away and go to sleep.

We also figured out that if DH does bedtime, Leah really pushes it and just chats him up. With me, she knows I mean business once all stories/hugs/etc have been done so I tend to handle bedtime. I also have to set limits on bedtime stories (because she'd let me read forever if it meant she could stay up).

Addisonsmommy February 21st, 2013 06:40 AM

Addison is the same! It must be the age. The nights that are the easiest is when I have worn her out all day.

ethansmom0408 February 21st, 2013 08:28 AM

I'm glad I'm not alone. It seems to be getting worse. I've started threatening to take something away if he doesn't get moving. He has to get up for school so I like him to get a good night sleep. I also don't want him to feel like he can't call me into his room after I leave. I'm sure there will be one time that he really needs something.

claire1979 February 21st, 2013 10:03 AM

By the time Keeley goes to bed after being at school all day it takes all of 5 minutes to go to sleep. She has a hug and the usual bedtime routine at around 7pm and then she watches one episode of what ever she's into (which is my little pony grrr at the mo) and then by 7.30 its bedtime.

Bermuda Girl February 21st, 2013 10:41 AM

Jack is the same with excuses, it seems to go in phases.

If he is having a bad night I tell him that we have fun things planned and tired little boys don't get to do fun things. That usually shuts him up pretty quick.

MommyToCooper February 21st, 2013 01:29 PM

Cooper was that way for a while. Right now he seems to be in a routine of grabbing a book to look at before falling asleep rather than procrastinating to us.

Completely normal though.

SheilaRN February 24th, 2013 03:38 PM

No real procrastinations. Ellie is pretty good at bedtime. Bella is the one I have to watch. Mainly she is a huge distraction to Ellie. If it's Ellie by herself she is out like a light. Put Bella in the mix and they will be up until 9 or 10. Bella gets up and roams around, has to go potty, needs socks on, needs an extra hug and kiss. Seriously, the reasons can go on forever.

I find if I put them to bed seperately that they fall asleep so quickly. It's just a hassel to put one down at 730 and then one at 8.

KellersMom517 February 25th, 2013 11:45 AM

Keller is not a procrastinator at bedtime. He tells us that he's going to bed and I practically have to chase him down to get a kiss before he crawls into bed. Though if I let him go to bed on his own, he would sleep in his clothes without going pee and without brushing his teeth. So I still have to monitor.

Isla is my procrastinator...OH MY WORD. Who was I to think that if I had the same routine for both kids, I'd get the same result?! HA! She wants a blanket, doesn't want it, her jammies itch, wrong sippy cup, binky has a hair on it, not enough binkies, door isn't open enough, too light, too dark, another book, snuggles, blah blah blah...it could go on until daylight I swear. LOL

Julka February 25th, 2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellersmom517 (Post 27133413)
binky has a hair on it

lmao!

Twinkle February 26th, 2013 11:24 AM

Kate doesn't procrastinate much, that is Julia here! The kids are usually all in bed by 8pm, and Julia sometimes carries on for a while. Since she is older, we have become very clear with our expectations and the consequences. There have been times that I have put her in time out at 8:30pm because she isn't listening. By that time of night I'm tired and I know she is too. She's been pretty good recently though.

happyhme44 March 4th, 2013 01:15 PM

Since its just me I am pretty strict about bed time. Momma is off duty at 8pm exactly in order to preserve my sanity. Her routine starts at 7:15. I have her clean up her toys, brush her teeth, pick two books for me to read, and then get into bed. I read her two books and then I say prayers. I then go watch important tv shows like The Bachelor, so my time schedule is strict due to important tv viewing. lol I allow her to read her books to her kitty in her room. She is allowed to come out of the room to use the bathroom one time. If she asks for something or leaves the room more than one time I take away netflix time the next day. I never give more than one chance or more than one warning. She falls asleep on her own "reading" to kitty.