JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2008 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/)
-   -   Reading (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/2629318-reading.html)

Julka February 25th, 2013 06:49 PM

Reading

How is your child doing as far as reading on their own? Can they read 2, 3, 4, or 5+ letter words yet?

4 boys February 25th, 2013 08:48 PM

Re: Reading

Reid is not really interested. He can slowly sound out 2 and 3 letter words if I ask him to, but he just doesn't really care.

This fall when he begins K I will start working with him more to get him reading but I'm not in any rush.

youngwoman February 26th, 2013 05:59 AM

No reading yet. Our homeschool curriculum starts to focus on some sight words in Kinder (next year) and then beginning reading in 1st grade. Like Erin, I am in no rush either.

Julka February 26th, 2013 06:06 AM

Veronika is doing sight-words now, in school. Her teacher sent home a list with 1, 2, 3 and 4 letter sight words and we're supposed to practice reading them. But she's beginning to read 4+ letter words on her own, it's really cute!

Yesterday she was doing some ABC activity sheets and when she got to L, I said, "what does L stand for?" She looked at the picture and said, "light." I said, "don't guess, read the word." She did and read "lamp." She was soooooo proud of herself, she just sounded out each letter and read. Natasha was reading by the end of Junior Kindergarten (where Veronika is now) and I think she will be too.

clouise February 26th, 2013 06:15 AM

Carrie knows a number of sight words...close to 100. She isn't as good at sounding words out. She wants to read so badly and gets frustrated that she can't yet. I think she'll be a good reader by next year with as interested as she is.

ethansmom0408 February 26th, 2013 07:22 AM

Ethan knows a few sight words. It's also not in the preschool cirriculum. Kindergarten is when they start reading.

Bermuda Girl February 26th, 2013 09:16 AM

Nope, not really. He knows a few words by sight, but not reading yet.

claire1979 February 26th, 2013 11:10 AM

Keeley brings home reading books with 2,3, and 4 letter words they are more picture book which she reads very well i'm pleased how she's getting on.

Twinkle February 26th, 2013 12:19 PM

Kate knows a few sight words but that is about it right now. We don't do too much to "practice" right now, but she's starting to blend the sounds that letters make.

2xPink March 1st, 2013 09:09 PM

Not reading yet. They do not work on it in pre-k, and she is not interested at home. Her big sister was interested at this age, but they are so different. Next year they will work on reading, but I do plan to start working on it at home this summer to prepare her a little.

Coffee_Bean March 2nd, 2013 09:00 AM

Ady is on a first grade reading level, and has been for a while. I love her teachers!! Im hoping to test her out of Kinder bc I know that she will be bored.