JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2008 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/)
-   -   Allowance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/2630279-allowance.html)

Bermuda Girl February 28th, 2013 08:08 AM

Allowance

Jack has daily chores around the house (make his bed, set the table etc.) and Shaun wants to give him an allowance.

Do your kids get allowance? How much do they get, is it based on chores or just because?

ethansmom0408 February 28th, 2013 08:27 AM

We put dollar bills in both boys piggy banks every week. Ethan helps with stuff but its only because he wants to. It will be the same with Mason. When they're older, it might change.

Julka February 28th, 2013 10:20 AM

Re: Allowance

We do, but it's not for doing chores and it's not regular. I feel like they live here, doing chores is part of being in this family. I will not pay them for that. However, we give them coins for doing "extra" things, like being extra nice to each other when playing, sharing without being asked, doing a chore that isn't their normal responsibility, etc. Basically when going above what's expected.

We also give tooth-fairy money and excellent report card money. :)
They each have a money box where they keep all their coins.

Once they have like $10+, anywhere enough to buy a toy, we go to TRU and they spend it on something they want. They actually just spent all their money about 2 weeks ago!

SheilaRN February 28th, 2013 04:59 PM

We haven't started an allowance yet. I'm even sure when or how we will do it.

Dh and I both feel chores are something that we all have to do. We don't get paid to do the dishes so the girls won't get it based on helping around the house. Plus, they help make the mess they can help clean it.

That being said, I'm sure we will have something for extra work around the house. Raking leaves, pulling weeds, helping clean/ sweep the garage or other out of the ordinary chores. Plus, they will get tooth fairy and good progress report money.

Right now we give the girls most of our change. They have an enormous piggy bank they are filling. We tell them it is our Disneyland money. This will be their spending money when we go next time.

youngwoman March 1st, 2013 05:37 AM

We haven't started an allowance yet, though it's something I'd like to do at some point. Right now, we're getting Leah in the habit of doing daily chores (making her bed, setting the table, putting toys away) and using one of those magnetic chore charts. My mom sent this big bag of lollipops for Valentines Day, so Leah has to do her chores and eat her dinner to earn one each evening. I guess that's our beginner allowance. ;)

MommyToCooper March 1st, 2013 07:27 AM

We don't do an allowance but will give him a few coins if he does "extra" work (like helping daddy take out the trash).

TallyGirl22 March 5th, 2013 08:22 AM

All 3 of the girls have "chores" and daily things they are just expected to do. We didn't feel like their every day things that they are expected to do (keep room clean, dirty clothes away, etc) should be paid for. The additional chores like helping w/ laundry, cleaning bathroom, cleaning kitchen, sweeping, vacuuming, etc (all age-based lol) we do give some money for - or trade for things like to pick something out of our treasure basket on top of the fridge (small candy, little toys, stickers, pencils, pens, stamps etc) that all 3 of the girls enjoy.

Hugo&Sergiosmom March 5th, 2013 05:43 PM

No, we don't. But maybe we will when he's in school and might want things at a school store, book fair, etc.

mayandsofiasmommy March 5th, 2013 07:30 PM

We have a responsibility chart, and the goal was for them to earn 25 cents/week for doing the things, but I am SO BAD with following through. Then they go and mess with the magnets.. I need to start again though.

2xPink March 6th, 2013 08:20 PM

We do not do an allowance, but we do give change for extra help or rewarding good behavior that goes into their piggy banks mostly. They can keep sone in their wallet here and there for spending money. Mia just donated her wallet change to the collection her school had for leukemia patients. :)