JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2008 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/)
-   -   Confusing Story - Kindergartener Barred for no Chicken Pox Vaccine (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/2642211-confusing-story-kindergartener-barred-for-no-chicken-pox-vaccine.html)

*Cyndee* April 10th, 2013 11:53 AM

Confusing Story - Kindergartener Barred for no Chicken Pox Vaccine

Staten Island kindergarten student banned from school because of infant sibling’s rare medical disorder
5-year-old Frankie Warner has been barred from P.S. 36 for not receiving a chicken pox vaccination. Her parents say receiving the vaccine could prove deadly to her infant sister who suffers from a rare auto-immune disorder.

Read more: Staten Island kindergarten student banned from school because of infant sibling

Her sister is 14 weeks old, she is 6.

Shouldn't she have already been inoculated between age 1-5?
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...-varicella.pdf

Also wouldn't anyone vaccinated by a danger to this baby? :confused:

TheMommyProject April 10th, 2013 01:40 PM

Re: Confusing Story - Kindergartener Barred for no Chicken Pox Vaccine

I'm not understanding how the baby wouldn't be at risk around anybody who's had the vax, not just the sibling. There's obviously more to it than the article is going into.

As for the age, I'm assuming the parent's chose not to vax for their own reasons and it's only coming up now since the girl is school age. The mother may have had more success had she proactively consulting with the school upon registration of the unusual circumstances.

I agree, the whole thing is a bit confusing.

P*to*the*ORTIA April 10th, 2013 02:38 PM

I thought that as long as you had a note from your doctor, non-vaxed kids could attend public school.

It seems like there should be more to the story.

mylene169 April 10th, 2013 03:07 PM

Strange. I think the risk to the baby is that the vax is a live virus, so the big sister could shed that and THAT is the risky part. However if she'd had it already it wouldn't still be present in her system, just the immunity. Kind of like a flu vax.

But beyond that if the school talked to the Dr. and they still decided to bar the girl from school, there's got to be more to it. And isn't the school year just about done? Why wasn't this an issue before school even started? There must be more somewhere in this story.

Destany April 13th, 2013 09:03 AM

Right, there are ways to get excluded. Parents can choose not to vaccinate on grounds that it is against their religion or other types of beliefs. You sign a waver and hand it into the school nurse. I know PLENTY of people who have done this and it's illegal for the state to force a parent to vaccinate and refuse education on those grounds.

Unfortunately many schools will try to force parents into it and most parents are not even aware that vaccines are not mandatory.

As far as risk to the baby, it could be that a fresh inoculation could cause the baby to get sick. I know children who wound up getting the illness that they were being vaccinated against and THAT would pose a risk to the baby. The chicken pox vaccine is a live virus and the risk of the six year old getting CP is higher than if the virus was dead. Also, there is a risk that she could infect the baby if she herself doesn't get pox.

I hate that the school is making it a power struggle, I agree there must be more to it.

ETA: As far as risking other kids by NOT having the vaccination - what exactly are they at risk for??? The ONLY risk to those other classmates is that they could get chicken pox from her if she were to catch it... chicken pox ARE NOT DEADLY. They are an inconvenience and uncomfortable. There is no real threat from them and no need to vaccinate and the idea that her classmates needed to be protected from her is idiotic.