JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2008 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/)
-   -   Summer camps or classes? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/2643803-summer-camps-classes.html)

Twinkle April 16th, 2013 06:01 PM

Summer camps or classes?

Have you signed your child up for any camps or classes for the summer?

clouise April 16th, 2013 07:18 PM

Re: Summer camps or classes?

I feel like everything around here costs an arm and a leg. Like $175 for a week long day camp that runs 9-12. So much higher than other areas we've been in.... So that is really limiting what I pick. It's okay though, we have had a very busy year and I am looking forward to some down time. And we are getting a pass to a local pool so that is something :)

Carrie and my other three are all going to Vacation Bible School for a week. That's like two hours a day I think. And free...put on by the church. I'll be there volunteering as well.

Beth wants to go to an art camp put on my one of her teachers, so I'll probably let her do a week of that.

And that is it so far.

Julka April 17th, 2013 05:29 AM

I am going tomorrow to register them for swimming school. It's an actual swim school and costs A LOT, so I am registering for the summer session (July/August) and going to see how it goes. There are cheap community centre classes too but Natasha took one session and I feel like she got nothing out of it, so going to try going this route now.

They're finishing ballet in June with a recital at the end and we're thinking of taking time off dancing to do swimming, but not sure yet. They're not very decisive on what they want to do!

I don't do summer camps at this age, I want them to just enjoy play grounds and splash pads and play at home without having to be anywhere every day.

youngwoman April 17th, 2013 10:29 AM

Leah is signed up for some summer dance classes - ballet and hip hop. Her teacher is awesome and made the summer classes cheap, so we signed her up for two since they're held back-to-back and she's got a couple friends going. Each class lasts 30 minutes, one day per week for 6 weeks. Then she has a one-day (90 minutes long) princess dance camp during the last week of July. She loves it so I'm all for it.

clouise April 17th, 2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julka (Post 27292910)
I am going tomorrow to register them for swimming school. It's an actual swim school and costs A LOT, so I am registering for the summer session (July/August) and going to see how it goes. There are cheap community centre classes too but Natasha took one session and I feel like she got nothing out of it, so going to try going this route now.

I know what you mean. We did a swim school this year and it really is run so mich better. It costs a ton, but Matt and Beth both went from a doggy paddle to doing a good freestyle and backstroke in one school year.

Julka April 17th, 2013 02:41 PM

Oh, thanks Claire, that's really encouraging to hear! :)

Hugo&Sergiosmom April 17th, 2013 06:31 PM

Just swim for both boys. I'm going to be too busy with the baby for anything else, plus we have 3 trips scheduled for the summer too. My husband's in charge of taking them to swim.

SheilaRN April 17th, 2013 07:53 PM

We are just started swim lessons again. We will probably do it through June and then take some time off during July and August. Other than Vacation Bible School, that is all the girls have planned for the summer.

ethansmom0408 April 17th, 2013 07:59 PM

Ethan's signed up for Safety Town at the end of June. It's a camp from 8:30-12 that teaches them safety (obviously). They do it in a cute way.

Bermuda Girl April 18th, 2013 10:18 AM

I have signed Jack up for a bike camp at the beginning of July through Peddleheads. They teach kids how to ride with no training wheels and do lots of fun things. It's a full day full week camp and was so expensive ($360) that I thought and thought about it.

He is also doing some day camps through our community, think he will have a great time.

And I have signed up for a week 'family' sleepover camp in August. It is our church camp that I went to as a kid and they have a sleepover camp that the whole family attends. It is on a great lake in Alberta and we are going to have a so much fun. Olive is going to spend the week with my parents.

KellersMom517 April 19th, 2013 01:19 PM

Keller is signed up for T-Ball and had his first practice on Tuesday - SO adorable.
And I've signed him up for a week long camp that is a multi-sport thingie where he learns bits of soccer, baseball, and basketball.

Not sure about anything else - he still goes to his preschool for their summer program 2 days/week.

TallyGirl22 May 9th, 2013 06:44 AM

Yes, since I work full time Elizabeth will have to have full day care in the summer too. Her Preschool program ends May 31st and they offer a summer camp (much pricier!!) she'll be there most of the summer except for 2 weeks of VBS and a week of vacation :)