JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2008 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/)
-   -   Bike (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/2649831-bike.html)

clouise May 11th, 2013 11:41 AM

Bike

Does your child have a bicycle? If so...are they still using the training wheels?

Carrie has been riding a bike with training wheels for probably two years now. She rides all the time and really enjoys it. No interest in taking those wheels off yet though! I kind of wish she'd give it a try because it is just easier without them...the bike doesn't get stuck in sidewalks cracks or the edge of the curb.

Beth was about six I think when she had her training wheels taken off (and she really didn't want to....) and Matt was not even five yet. He asked me to take them, then rode off without falling once. Crazy boy!

ethansmom0408 May 11th, 2013 04:56 PM

Ethan has a bike with training wheels. He rides sometimes but would rather ride his motorized quad. I wish he had more interest in his bike but I've learned that with Ethan you can't push him to do things. He has to do it in his own time.

MommyToCooper May 11th, 2013 05:03 PM

Cooper rides a two wheeler without training wheels. He learned last summer. He just got a new (to him) bike as he was too big for what he rode last year.

Julka May 11th, 2013 05:35 PM

Re: Bike

The girls have never had bikes. I know it's weird, but we have our reasons..

1. They were NEVER interested. We took them to look at bikes, try riding bikes, etc. they would pretty much lose interest and go look at other toys in the store...

2. We live in an apartment so storage/space is an issue. Our summers (warm weather) lasts about 3 months and then it's 9 months of not-so-friendly bike weather. So having the bikes just sit there year-round useless, eh...

BUT, we do have plans to take them bike shopping the first weekend of June. If they show interest this time and DH is willing to go outside and teach them, then we'll buy them 2 bikes. I feel like they *need* to know how to ride a bike, but I also don't want it standing there year-round collecting dust, either. So we'll see.

4 boys May 11th, 2013 06:59 PM

We have one or two small bikes and Reid keeps talking about riding one but so far he just hasn't really wanted to. I am hoping this summer he will learn. His brothers were all on two wheels by now and I think it would be great for him to be able to keep up with them when they ride bikes. He loves his trike but he's outgrown it and it's pretty slow. :D

clouise May 13th, 2013 11:07 AM

They do take up a lot of space Julia. Do they have grandparents or someone who might have extra room? We do have a little shed, but it is crammed full of bikes and scooters. Once Carrie loses the training wheels, and Katy outgrows the trikes they'll store a bit better.

Julka May 13th, 2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouise (Post 27360504)
They do take up a lot of space Julia. Do they have grandparents or someone who might have extra room? We do have a little shed, but it is crammed full of bikes and scooters. Once Carrie loses the training wheels, and Katy outgrows the trikes they'll store a bit better.

Nope :) The grandparents that would have space live too far, and the other set are in a similar apartment to ours. But yes, storing them w/o training wheels is probably easier and less space consuming.

youngwoman May 14th, 2013 05:12 AM

Leah has zero interest in a bike. She has a tricycle that she rarely ever rides. Maybe someday, but who knows? I never learned to ride a bike either! ;)

ethansmom0408 May 14th, 2013 06:52 AM

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has a 5 year old with no interest in riding a bike.

Julka May 14th, 2013 07:09 AM

Yes, Rachel. Sometimes I feel like my kids are the only ones, so this is good to read. lol

SheilaRN May 16th, 2013 02:06 PM

The girls each have their own bike with training wheels. Just recently they both asked to learn without them. I think it's bc they see a few of the neighbor kids. Sam and I were talking about working with E in the next few weeks.....once it's dry again.