JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2008 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/)
-   -   Flossing (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/2653043-flossing.html)

Julka May 23rd, 2013 06:19 PM

Flossing

How often do you floss your child's teeth? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Never?

ethansmom0408 May 24th, 2013 06:07 AM

Everyday.

youngwoman May 24th, 2013 06:16 AM

Re: Flossing

Um, never. :ph34r: Our dentist did give us some of those kids flossers last month... we just keep forgetting to try them out!

Julka May 24th, 2013 07:00 AM

We have been flossing maybe once every 2 weeks, but their pediatric dentist gives me a really hard time about it. They all (at the office) pretty much make you feel like an ***** parent if you don't do it daily. So we've been doing it daily b/c he will ask the kids how often they floss and they spill out the truth, lol. We just forget! We use regular floss, minty or something.

MommyToCooper May 24th, 2013 12:31 PM

Never... he seemed interested in the kids flossers but not sure how excited he would be if he had to use them all the time.

clouise May 24th, 2013 05:22 PM

Every single night. I can get visable chunks of food out of their mouth when I floss, so I know it needs to be done. I use those little flosser sticks.

Julka May 24th, 2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouise (Post 27393432)
Every single night. I can get visable chunks of food out of their mouth when I floss, so I know it needs to be done. I use those little flosser sticks.

See, I get NOTHING when I floss. Maybe once upon a blue moon I'll get *something* tiny. When the dentist did Veronika's x-rays the other day, he told me that while her actual teeth are fine and cavity-free, she has "soon-to-be" cavities between her back molars and while it's nothing to worry about now, if I don't floss, they'll get worse etc etc.

Basically, he freaked me out. :confused: But when I floss there, I get nothing. *sigh*

2xPink May 24th, 2013 09:42 PM

We now floss daily, but my kids have a lot of grooves in their teeth and tighter molars. The girls have both had cavities. I use the floss sticks because they are easier to get in their mouth, but the dentist did say regular floss is better. My DH won't help with regular floss though. We even started using mouthwash to try to help them. Mia got sealants and then had cavities between her teeth that they said flossing could have helped prevent. Addy has a spot they are watching that is also between her teeth.

clouise May 25th, 2013 01:18 PM

My dentist told me it just depends on the kid. My kids have teeth that are close together (hello braces...:( ) so they really need it. Just floss them everyday the week before they get their exam...then the kids will get glowing reports to the dentist, lol.

Julka May 25th, 2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouise (Post 27394813)
My dentist told me it just depends on the kid. My kids have teeth that are close together (hello braces...:( ) so they really need it. Just floss them everyday the week before they get their exam...then the kids will get glowing reports to the dentist, lol.

lol, yeah! haha. And I know what you mean, Natasha also has teeth close together and will most likely need braces. She already has a tooth growing in sideways due to lack of spacing. :(

youngwoman May 27th, 2013 04:50 AM

Our dentist showed us on the xray that Leah really just needs flossing in her back molars since they're closer together. The rest of her mouth has a lot of space so not much is going to get stuck. Now I just need to remember to do it!

Twinkle May 29th, 2013 11:07 AM

We floss daily. Julia has soft teeth (genetic) and is prone to cavities because of that... she already had 2 filled back in January. Lily is has already had an orthodontist consult... hello money... so expensive!!

4 boys May 29th, 2013 11:42 AM

Never. My kids don't floss until they can do it themselves. So my older two do every night. The dentist always asks, of course, but so far we haven't had any issues with cavities and I just don't have enough time in the day right now.

SheilaRN May 30th, 2013 09:06 PM

We were just told to start. Before it wasn't an issue because Ellie's teeth had spaces between them. They still have room but the Dentist wants us to get in the routine.