JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2008 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/)
-   -   Summer (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/2661108-summer.html)

ethansmom0408 June 24th, 2013 01:30 PM

Summer

How's everyone's summer going?

Ethan's been out of school since the end of May. We've enjoyed sleeping in. Especially the baby. We've done a couple of fun things so far but it's been so rainy here. Ethan's in safety town camp this week and has a kindergarten readiness program once a week starting at the end of July. We're going to take the boys to Hershey Park in a couple of weeks and to the beach a couple if times. That's it because Ethan starts kindergarten on August 26th :(

Julka June 24th, 2013 04:36 PM

Re: Summer

The girls are both still in school till the 27th, so 3 more days. I am okay with next year because it's just the 2nd year of kindergarten, same school, some of the same kids, etc. nothing new, really, except a slightly more advanced curriculum than this year. Still 1/2 day, 5 days a week.

As for the summer, the girls are going to summer camp for 3 full-days at the end of July. Camp is really expensive, imo, $250/week is average here and for 2 kids that's $500/week. So we picked 3 days in July and if they like it, they'll do another 3 full-days in August, maybe.

Otherwise we're just planning day trips in July (strawberry picking, etc.), and in August DH has a week off and we're going to the Niagara area for 3 days, we have lots of fun stuff planned (Marine Land, Safari Niagara and more), and day trips again.

Otherwise, just gonna take the kids to splash pads, etc.

youngwoman June 25th, 2013 05:02 AM

We've been enjoying a great summer so far. Our anniversary/beach trip earlier in the month was wonderful; my DH rarely takes time off work and it was great seeing him so relaxed and laidback for several days.

Leah is taking two short dance classes this summer - ballet & hip hop. At the end of July, she's also doing a one-day Princess Belle dance camp. We've been meeting with our homeschool friends on most Fridays, either swimming at one family's apartment complex pool or playing at the park.

Leah & I are planning to road trip up to PA toward the end of July/beginning of August to visit family. (Rachel, I'll message you when I know specific dates!)

Also, we started our Kinder curriculum yesterday! I wasn't planning to begin until mid-August or so, but Leah has been asking me about doing school for weeks now (we finished Pre-K the first week of May), so I figured we may as well start and then take time off whenever we want later. There's no real reason for us to stick to a traditional schedule other than I was enjoying the summer laziness. Haha. ;)

4 boys June 25th, 2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngwoman (Post 27474748)
There's no real reason for us to stick to a traditional schedule other than I was enjoying the summer laziness. Haha. ;)

Amen to that! I would be doing the same thing but having Cadence threw off my school year. :D I'm hoping by the time we start back in September, she'll be sleeping through the night.

We don't ever take big trips in summer but we usually go camping 3 or 4 times and that isn't happening this year. I'm hoping we will attempt to go once or twice when Cadence is past two months old. We went twice when Ben was two months and it worked pretty well so maybe we'll get to go yet toward the end of summer.

Otherwise we are just swimming in our pool, hoeing the garden and mowing the lawn. :)

ethansmom0408 June 25th, 2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngwoman (Post 27474748)
We've been enjoying a great summer so far. Our anniversary/beach trip earlier in the month was wonderful; my DH rarely takes time off work and it was great seeing him so relaxed and laidback for several days.

Leah is taking two short dance classes this summer - ballet & hip hop. At the end of July, she's also doing a one-day Princess Belle dance camp. We've been meeting with our homeschool friends on most Fridays, either swimming at one family's apartment complex pool or playing at the park.

Leah & I are planning to road trip up to PA toward the end of July/beginning of August to visit family. (Rachel, I'll message you when I know specific dates!)

Also, we started our Kinder curriculum yesterday! I wasn't planning to begin until mid-August or so, but Leah has been asking me about doing school for weeks now (we finished Pre-K the first week of May), so I figured we may as well start and then take time off whenever we want later. There's no real reason for us to stick to a traditional schedule other than I was enjoying the summer laziness. Haha. ;)

Sounds good to me. Just let me know :)

Twinkle June 27th, 2013 11:49 AM

The girls just got out of school last Wednesday. Thursday morning I packed the kids in the car and went to my parents for about a week. We went to the beach, zoo, children's museum and a science museum. The kids had a ton of fun!

Katie is going to an arts and crafts 1/2 day camp at our local children's museum in a couple of weeks. We are going away as a family for a week in July, to the Adirondacks. When we get back, the girls have VBS at our church. Lily is going to a studio art camp, Julia to horse camp, and then both of them are doing another town camp. Each of the camps are 1/2 days and they asked for camps this year instead of birthday presents from us, my inlaws and my parents... so it actually worked out pretty nicely!

clouise June 28th, 2013 02:08 PM

My kids have been out two weeks. So far we've kept pretty busy. We went camping for several days, they've done a week of VBS, and they've started the summer reading programs. They're only off ten weeks in total and I can't believe how fast it is going by. I'm enjoying having everyone home, getting to travel, and getting to sleep in a bit.