JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2009 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/)
-   -   After doing the virtual hospital tour... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/1491745-after-doing-virtual-hospital-tour.html)

*Hayley* March 24th, 2009 03:44 PM

After doing the virtual hospital tour...

I just went online and did a hospital tour of where I'd be delivering and there was something that caught my attention that I DID NOT like AT ALL.

They said that they take the baby to the nursery for about an hour after delivery to bathe it and run the tests that they normally run. They did EVERYTHING in my room and Cohen never left my side until he was circumsized. This doesn't make me comfortable at all and I think I'm going to see about delivering at another hospital if they can't accomodate my wants.

Jaylas_Mommy March 24th, 2009 03:50 PM

Re: After doing the virtual hospital tour...

i think the hospitals around here are like that. im not sure because i havnt really looked into it yet.

CautiousMommy March 24th, 2009 04:34 PM

I wouldnt feel comfortable with that either. Hopefully it all works out for you. The hospital I deliver at doesn't even have a nursery.

SusieQ2 March 24th, 2009 04:40 PM

A lot of hospitals say that but you can request for them not to usually. The hospital where I delivered Ben let him stay with me for the first hour or so. Then they moved me from the delivery room to the regular room. While they did that they took the baby. That way I could get settled in my room, they helped me go to the bathroom, get cleaned up and ordered me some breakfast. That worked out pretty good and he was only gone about 30 minutes or so.

Snowpeas March 24th, 2009 04:45 PM

They did that where I delivered Olivia too. I made dh go with her and never leave her side. I don't know what they do here yet.

*Crystal* March 24th, 2009 04:56 PM

I wont like that either. I didn't even know that was an option. I now plan to ask my dr. about this at the next visit.

~Paula~ March 24th, 2009 05:01 PM

They did everything with Emily in my recovery room with me, DH helped to bathe her. When they had to take her to the nursery, it was quick and DH went with them.

Vmarie5 March 24th, 2009 05:06 PM

the hospital where i deliver does that.. but they leave the baby in the recovery room with you, which is usually an hour and a half.. then on your way to your hospital room, you drop the baby off at the nursery and get settled into your room.. and by the time you are settled, the baby is back with you.

*Hayley* March 24th, 2009 05:54 PM

it's totally freaking me out! my DH called the office and asked if the doctor delivers at any other hospital, and he doesn't. maybe i will request that they wheel me in...i can't imagine not witnessing his/her first bath like i did with cohen.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...62351_1423.jpg

~Paula~ March 24th, 2009 05:56 PM

I can't believe they actually put him in water. With Em they just wiped her down with wet rags.

Carly's Mama March 24th, 2009 06:02 PM

I don't even know what my options are this time around. I had my daughter via emergency c sections after she failed a biophysical profile - she was taken to the NICU the minute she was born and she was bathed and all that while I was in recovery!

fishysticks March 24th, 2009 06:23 PM

my hospital did that. I didn't even get to find out what he weighed until he came back the next day.
I just saw the first bath pictures for the FIRST time a few months ago

Mrs.Shirley March 24th, 2009 07:23 PM

Wow, I can't imagine that. My babies were both weighed and bathed in my room. I even nursed my ds while still in the delivery room. They did go to the nursery for a brief visit when I was on my way to recovery, but it was such a short trip I hardly noticed.

onedaysoon March 25th, 2009 03:53 AM

Wow! I would hate that! Here the baby NEVER leaves you! It gets wheeled with you to the recovery room and only 24 hours after birth does it get a bath, and a nurse helps YOU do it!

billie1978 March 25th, 2009 04:43 AM

The hospital I go to keeps the baby in the mother's room the whole time, except when they go to weigh them (and my husband always goes with them for that). The room that I deliver in is the room I will stay in until I am discharged and the baby stays with me from the time he/she's born until we leave...except for the little time that they take them for testing.

Genevieve's_mommy March 25th, 2009 06:10 AM

THE HOSPITAL where my ob delievers doesnt move you to a recovery room, and they dont take the baby away for bathe it. they only take it away after a bit of bonding and then do more tests.(if need be)

~KMV~ March 25th, 2009 06:26 AM

i have no idea how it works here... i guess i need to look into that!

kymom March 25th, 2009 06:53 AM

I nursed both my girls asap. One still had some blood on her. They never took her from me. They put both girls in a bassinet type thing and rolled them in with me to my room. It was like if I said I am going to take a shower could you come get her they would come in like two hours later. By then I had someone there and done took it. So.....I dont htink I would like for them to take my baby either.

*Meg* March 25th, 2009 06:55 AM

I never thought about that! I have been too focused on the delivery part!

monica8 March 25th, 2009 06:56 AM

Def see if you can get out of that. Is it the same place you had Cohen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Crystal* (Post 15042773)
I wont like that either. I didn't even know that was an option. I now plan to ask my dr. about this at the next visit.

This reminds me of something a little off topic. I know that if you want them to put the baby directly on you after you give birth, you should tell them this, too. When my friend gave birth they took the baby and cleaned her up before they even let her hold her daughter. She never got to hold her naked, still covered in all the birth stuff. I didn't know about that either until she told me... I just assumed they always put the baby right on the mom.