JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2009 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/)
-   -   fever and pregnancy... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/1491755-fever-and-pregnancy.html)

Jaylas_Mommy March 24th, 2009 03:48 PM

fever and pregnancy...

i work in an infant room at a daycare and am around babies constantly.

well today one of our babies had a fever of 101.7 and we have had so many babies with fevers this past week..and i work very closely with them.

is it safe for me to be around these babies (as in they sit on my lap for long periods of time) when they have such high fevers??

CautiousMommy March 24th, 2009 04:38 PM

Re: fever and pregnancy...

If you run a fever over 103 degrees it can be harmful to the baby and can possibly cause a miscarriage. I had a friend who had a high fever during her second trimester and it messed with the babies heart rate. I would recommend you wash your hands all the time(which I am sure you do) and if you do start to get a fever take tylenol right away and call the doctors. Just keep the fever down

karsynsmama March 24th, 2009 04:42 PM

just keep an eye on yourself and make sure you arent running a fever and just keep your hands super clean!!!

SusieQ2 March 24th, 2009 04:42 PM

Fevers can be dangerous but it depends on why those babies have fevers. If what is going on is contagious then yes you could catch it but if it isn't contagious you have no need to worry. How old are the babies? If any are teething that could be causing a fever in those infants.

Snowpeas March 24th, 2009 04:49 PM

:ditto:

BaileyEliChase March 24th, 2009 05:23 PM

Being around them can't harm you unless you get a very high fever but also only during certain times of pregnancy. Chase's dr said a fever for a 2 year old is not "high" until it hits 102. Fever for an infant is much lower because it starts to kill brain cells. I have never had a fever while pregnant ::knock on wood:: but I have read this, I am a book worm!!

Jaylas_Mommy March 24th, 2009 05:29 PM

thank ladies. they range from 8 months to 17 months. we can get younger but 8 months is the youngest we have right now.

my friends baby who goes to the daycare has a fever of over 102 for two days now and flu like symptoms and some of the others werent too good. like they were sick, im not sure what with but they were sick. i think we have had 3 fevers this past week due to teehthing.

now is just a really bad time of year with the weather changes and such. i will be extra carefull and make sure i have no fever!

thanks! you ladies always know the answers to my questions!