JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2009 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/)
-   -   I don't get paid maternity leave (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/1496399-i-dont-get-paid-maternity-leave.html)

*Jennifer* March 27th, 2009 05:29 PM

I don't get paid maternity leave

Well...I can't be mad about it. CA public school teachers don't pay into the system. I need to use my sick time instead. Darn...I had my time all planned out! I don't know why I thought it was paid. Wishful thinking.

CriscoNinja March 27th, 2009 06:03 PM

Re: I don't get maternity leave

Really? Sheesh. I get 6 weeks, but its unpaid. icky icky. I teach in MN

*Jennifer* March 27th, 2009 06:11 PM

Re: I don't get maternity leave

Quote:

Originally Posted by CriscoNinja (Post 15094561)
Really? Sheesh. I get 6 weeks, but its unpaid. icky icky. I teach in MN

I'm blaming this on pregnancy brain. My post should've read that I don't get paid maternity leave. I also get 6 weeks. I just need to use sick time if I want to get paid.

SusieQ2 March 27th, 2009 06:32 PM

Re: I don't get paid maternity leave

Very few places in the United States don't get paid maternity leave. We are one of 4 of the developed countries in the world who don't get paid leave. The others who don't give it are Papua New Guinea, Swaziland, and Lesotho. Doesn't seem that the US would even belong in that group. How freaking sad is that? People wonder why families fall apart so often in the US well that might be a pretty good cause of it.

Snowpeas March 27th, 2009 06:40 PM

Sorry to hear that. I wish we had a year like Canada!

ultramarine51 March 27th, 2009 06:41 PM

That's so crazy - I had no idea! I'm a teacher in Toronto, Canada. We get one year off of work. Not completely paid, but we get employment insurance, about 55% of our salary. Unbelievable that teachers in the US don't get the same benefits.

CriscoNinja March 27th, 2009 06:59 PM

I'm packing and moving to Canada!!! hehe

*Hayley* March 27th, 2009 08:30 PM

good to know!!!! geez...

Adriana's Mommy March 27th, 2009 08:42 PM

Don't worry your not the only one..

I didn't get paid leave when I went on Maternity Leave for 3 months with Adriana. I used all of my vacation time and sick time.. I also saved up money to where I was able to do that.. So, you should start planning now.. I honestly don't mind.. I get good vacation hours and sick hours.. By the time this baby is born, I'll have almost 3 months saved up.. :) I just can't take any time off.. ;)

Laki March 27th, 2009 09:36 PM

I'm sorry! I'm sure everything will work out in the end though. Start saving what you can now, and maybe you'll have enough saved by then :)

I'm going to have to sit down with my employers and discuss this. It hasn't even crossed my mind. I am a nanny, and we discussed that I would just bring my baby to work with me after he/she was born, we just failed to discuss time off.

Mrs.Shirley March 27th, 2009 10:59 PM

Oh man, that really bites.

~Paula~ March 28th, 2009 05:08 AM

Just start saving some money and try not to use your sick days. Hopefully btw the baby gets here, you'll have it all figured out.

*Meg* March 28th, 2009 07:09 AM

thats really harsh. I would tell you to start saving now- do you spread your pay over 12 months or just get paychecks while school's in session? We have the option of smaller paychecks that continue over the summer here so that makes it easier to save and budget.

I left my job that gives you 3 months paid maternity leave. It would have been nice but: 1. I worked an average of 55+ hours/week, 2. all of those hours are on my feet, and 3. I plan on being a SAHM anyway. But sometimes I think I should have just sucked it up for the money and then quit.

stellaluna896 March 28th, 2009 09:15 AM

I'm a server now so my time off will be completely unpaid. I agree that this may be part of the downfall of our society. Parents have no time to be with their new babies before they are forced to go back to work to pay bills. It's hard to save money now because we live basically paycheck to paycheck. Darn this recession.......

MrsSteele March 28th, 2009 10:06 AM

I think I am taking 12 weeks....I get paid like I was on disability with 60% of my pay and can supplement the remainder with paid time off...Everyone at work is picking on me because if I go around my due date, I will have Thanksgiving and Christmas off! I hope that is how it works out! :)

*Jennifer* March 28th, 2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriana's Mommy (Post 15096493)
Don't worry your not the only one..

I didn't get paid leave when I went on Maternity Leave for 3 months with Adriana. I used all of my vacation time and sick time.. I also saved up money to where I was able to do that.. So, you should start planning now.. I honestly don't mind.. I get good vacation hours and sick hours.. By the time this baby is born, I'll have almost 3 months saved up.. :) I just can't take any time off.. ;)

Oh...we have plenty saved. I've been saving over 1/2 my paycheck each month for the past 3 years more or less. By the time the baby is born I'll have almost 2 full years of salary saved up. I'm just preggo and complaining!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laki (Post 15096967)
I'm sorry! I'm sure everything will work out in the end though. Start saving what you can now, and maybe you'll have enough saved by then :)

I'm going to have to sit down with my employers and discuss this. It hasn't even crossed my mind. I am a nanny, and we discussed that I would just bring my baby to work with me after he/she was born, we just failed to discuss time off.

I was just being a whiner when I started this thread. By the time the baby is born, I'll have 2 years worth of salary saved from my paycheck alone. Dh also has salary saved from his paycheck, but he's responsible for investing and our retirement accounts.

I hope everything works out with your employers.

Jaylas_Mommy March 28th, 2009 11:58 AM

i dont get paid maternity leave and we dont get any benefits. so for the 6 weeks off there is no way i will get any money for it. we dont get sick days or anything. boo!!

*Jennifer* March 28th, 2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Meg* (Post 15099050)
thats really harsh. I would tell you to start saving now- do you spread your pay over 12 months or just get paychecks while school's in session? We have the option of smaller paychecks that continue over the summer here so that makes it easier to save and budget.

I left my job that gives you 3 months paid maternity leave. It would have been nice but: 1. I worked an average of 55+ hours/week, 2. all of those hours are on my feet, and 3. I plan on being a SAHM anyway. But sometimes I think I should have just sucked it up for the money and then quit.

Pay is spread over 12 months. I put the max allowed in a summer saver each month. When the summer saver expires, I roll it over into a CD. DH thinks it's for a vacation home, but...well....I can't crush his dreams. I want a vacation home too, so hopefully my work will allow me to do job share.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eshum07 (Post 15102272)
i dont get paid maternity leave and we dont get any benefits. so for the 6 weeks off there is no way i will get any money for it. we dont get sick days or anything. boo!!

Okay...I shouldn't have been such a whiner yesterday. I have it good. I think I was just surprised b/c all this time, I thought it was paid.

CautiousMommy March 28th, 2009 02:45 PM

In Canada doesn't the government take a good portion of your paycheck to pay for all the fringe benefits such as free health care? I grew up 30 minutes from the border of NY/Canada and I had friends there and they woulc constantly complain how the government took most of their money? Wasn't sure if it was the same way or if they had changed it?

ultramarine51 March 28th, 2009 02:58 PM

We do pay pretty high taxes here in Canada (the percentage is based on your income), but considering the free health care and the quality of public education, I don't personally have a problem with it. Of course it'd be nice to pay less!