JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2009 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/)
-   -   Induction-what is it like? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/1729631-induction-what-like.html)

CautiousMommy October 6th, 2009 06:35 PM

Induction-what is it like?

I have to go to the doctors tomorrow and I want to make sure I am armed with questions before my induction on Thursday morning. For those that have been induced tell me about it! How were you induced, how long did it last, do you believe it is more painful(I will be getting the epideral)? Anything you can throw in there that I should know?

Here are my statistics, my Bishop score is around a 9 I believe. I am 2-3 cm dialated(depends on doctor), 50% effaced, -1 station, cervix is soft and I believe I am anterior. So I dont think they will need to use the gel. I think I will either be put on pitocin or they will break my water. I have been having contractions for 31 hours straight now. 3-5 minutes apart 30 seconds long. I really think they are non progressive though.

Thanks for any advice or information you can provide me with.

rachelmarie621 October 6th, 2009 06:40 PM

Re: Induction-what is it like?

wish i could offer some help but this is my first too. so let me/us know how it goes at the dr and what he says.

KTeacher October 6th, 2009 07:42 PM

I was induced with my first and don't have anything to compare it to yet, but it wasn't too bad.

I was induced at 40w4d with Cervidil and was 3 cm (don't remember effacement or station). Cervidil was started at 8 am and I had to lay down for an hour so they could monitor me. I had very very mild contractions until 10 am when they broke my water. For me, that was super painful. Before the Dr. even fully withdrew the hook I was having painful contractions. They did slow down a bit and I didn't get my epidural until close to 2 pm. It took a while to progress, so they did start pit around 4pm. At 4:30pm I started pushing and pushed for almost 2.5 hours. No fun! My DD was born at 6:47 pm with the help of the vaccum. If she hadn't arrived by 7pm my Dr. said he would go for a c-section.

This time I am hoping to go into labor on my own- I guess just so I can compare the difference in the two labors. With my DD I had a lot of issues that may or may not have been related to the induction, so I want to see if I can avoid them this time by not getting induced.

Not sure if that helps or not :)

hoping4more October 6th, 2009 08:00 PM

sorry never been induced. but wanted to wish you the best, and just ask him/her what you can expect, and go from there. i remember having these talks with my doctor with my first. i was 9 days late.... so we sat and talked for like 20 minutes or more i swear. he went over everything with me. very imformative.

BellaBellski October 7th, 2009 10:52 AM

I'm guessing you'll have your water broken and then start pit. But it's also your choice if you want to be induced or not (as long as everything is looking good).

I was induced with the Gel and it started contractions right away. I also got to go and labor at home for 6 hours. I gave birth after 13 hrs, water broke while pushing. I'm hoping to be induced with the gel again this time.

Vmarie5 October 7th, 2009 02:09 PM

ive had 3 inductions done 3 different ways.. lol

my first i was 4-5 cm and like 75% when i went in, and also GBS+. they started the antibiotics and broke my water.. then an hour later gave me the pit to get things going.. he was born 6 hrs and 49 mins after they broke my water..

my second was induced early due to a few different reasons. i was only 1-2cm and "soft" so i got the cervadil and after 2 doses of that they started the pit and after a few good contractions, broke my water.. that baby was born 6 hrs and 49 mins after my water was broken..

my 3rd.. i was 3-4cm and 50% and very soft.. but the baby was floating pretty high.. pit was started and water was broken at the same time.. but i had to lay down for a while till the baby's head engaged.. 8 hour labor start to finish, but 4 hours of pain.. (the first 4 hours were mearly BH's)

good luck!! feel free to PM me if your doc isnt clear.. im no pro but def. BTDT

Snowpeas October 7th, 2009 02:21 PM

Just stopping in really quick.

I was induced and I had an absolutely awesome experience!! Pain wasn't bad. I did get the epidural but that's because the guy that did it could do it right then - otherwise it would have been a really long wait and I didn't know how strong the contractions would get. Even after they broke my water (which was awhile before the epidural) the pain wasn't bad. They said the contractions were registering at 75% and although they hurt and were uncomfortable they were definitely tolerable.

The induction was very smooth - and for me very fast. I had a 22 1/2 hour labor with dd (not induced) and this time around was 4 hours from start to finish.

I got there at 3cm dilated and 80% effaced and after three hours of pitocin was only 4-5 cm. I figured I had a LONG day ahead of me. Then I started to feel a lot of pressure and she checked me an hour after being 4-5 cm I only had a lip of cervix left & was 9.5 cm. 5 minutes later he was born.

The worst pain of the whole thing honestly? When they took the tape off my back for my epidural! That really hurt. lol

It was an awesome experience and I would do it again.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Mrs. Brown October 7th, 2009 02:25 PM

I have been induced with both of my sons!!! The 1st one I ws dialated to a 4 and 70% effaced. They broke my water then started me on pitocin. I was in labor for 3 1/2 hours and pushed for 1/2 hour. No pain meds at all. The 2nd one they broke my water and 3 hours later still no contractions so they stared pitocin about 3 hours later he was here!! I have nothing to compare it to as far as if it is worse than going on your own. I do know the 2nd one hurt worse but he was almost 2 lbs bigger than my 1st. GOOD LUCK!!!
(DO NOT LET THEM USE CYTOTEC!!!)

BellaBellski October 7th, 2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Brown (Post 17552583)
I have been induced with both of my sons!!! The 1st one I ws dialated to a 4 and 70% effaced. They broke my water then started me on pitocin. I was in labor for 3 1/2 hours and pushed for 1/2 hour. No pain meds at all. The 2nd one they broke my water and 3 hours later still no contractions so they stared pitocin about 3 hours later he was here!! I have nothing to compare it to as far as if it is worse than going on your own. I do know the 2nd one hurt worse but he was almost 2 lbs bigger than my 1st. GOOD LUCK!!!
(DO NOT LET THEM USE CYTOTEC!!!)

why?

catherineclare October 7th, 2009 04:36 PM

I will give my induction story later, but wanted to comment on the cytotec. It's really controversial because it was and never has been approved for induction. It's a drug for ulcers I believe. It's never been FDA approved for induction and a lot of docs don't use it, but a lot of docs do. I had it used on me but I had no idea about the possible side effects at the time.

CautiousMommy October 7th, 2009 07:04 PM

Thank you for all the feedback! It kind of put me a little more at ease. Some of my friends were sacring me that it takes hours and is very painful. But they were not dialated or ready in any way. The doctor today told me that I am 3cm, -1 station, 50% effaced and cervix is soft. The plan is for me to arrive around 5am, they will start me on pitocin until the doctor arrives around 8 or9, at which time they will break my water. I can get my epideral whenever I want, the prescription is already written as is some other pain drug for the beginning. Here's to hoping to having a baby by 2pm!