JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2009 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/)
-   -   Swaddling DID NOT work! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/1734462-swaddling-did-not-work.html)

ms.crystal October 11th, 2009 12:40 PM

Swaddling DID NOT work!

I went out to buy a swaddler thingy last nite. I swaddled him tightly and put him down on his back. It lasted all of 2 minutes. He screamed and screamed and eventually kicked his way out of the swaddle. He ended up falling asleep on me on his tummy. I don't know what to do with him! I guess i'll get the moniter mat next because he needs sleep and so do I, without worrying all nite long about him. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Snowpeas October 11th, 2009 01:03 PM

Re: Swaddling DID NOT work!

Did you swaddle his arms in or out? I know Olivia would never sleep swaddled unless she had her arms out.

Sorry it didn't work - sound like you have on determined little boy there!

Christine_D October 11th, 2009 01:30 PM

I wouldn't count it out just yet - I would try it again. I know Reagan fights and fights agaisnt the swaddle and the next thing I know she's asleep. She also likes to 'suck' while she's settling down for a nap - so you might want to try the swaddle with a pacifier...if you are planning on using one. I let her fall asleep on her belly and when she's completely limp, I move her onto her back in between a sleep positioner, swaddled.

mom2gabeandjae October 11th, 2009 01:44 PM

I know by now you may want your space and body back,but someone recently said something to me that made a LOT of sense: Babies are carried constantly for nearly 10 months or more in some cases. THEN, all of a sudden we swaddle them and place them in cribs and allow them some alone time so we can have some alone time. I am all for swaddling and trusting your instincts, it is how I parent but, sometimes the best comfort is being skin to skin with mom or hearing a familiar heartbeat. I hope everything works out for you. It seems you have been struggling since day one.

Pray for patience and God gives us paatience, just not the way we want it! It will come, you are both learning each other a little more everyday!

Adriana's Mommy October 11th, 2009 02:11 PM

I know all swaddles are different, but have you tried the Miracle Blanket? This blanket is so worth the money.. When Adriana was a newborn, she liked to sleep on her tummy, but once I tried this swaddle she slept on her back and was a happy baby..

Miracle Blanket.. There's a video that shows how it works :)

Baby wraps, baby accessory, colic, infant sleep, remedies, infant health, crying baby

ms.crystal October 11th, 2009 07:04 PM

hmmm... maybe i'll try the miracle blanket. thanks!

fishysticks October 11th, 2009 07:05 PM

Holden absolutely loathed being swaddled. I wouldn't give up on it right away, because it might just take time for him to get used to, but some babies just aren't fans of it.

We have a kiddopotamus swaddler.. no clue if that's spelled right, but it makes it practically impossible to get arms loose if you think that might be the issue

*Hayley* October 11th, 2009 07:53 PM

you can try propping him on his side too

Kierasmom October 11th, 2009 08:08 PM

I'd try putting him on his side swaddled before you get the mat. When you put him down is he already asleep, or half asleep? It worked better for my kids if they were mostly asleep when I put them down.

ms.crystal October 11th, 2009 09:01 PM

he's all the way sleep

CautiousMommy October 11th, 2009 10:14 PM

I have Taylor in an inclined sleep unit and the angel care monitor fits underneath it and works, even without a flat surface. Some babies do not like to lay straight down. It will get better!