JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2009 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/)
-   -   Starting Solids (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/1852646-starting-solids.html)

Christine_D January 27th, 2010 12:56 PM

Starting Solids

I do NOT want to start a debate :) but I do want to hear other mommy's opinions on when to start solids. I know some recommend that you wait until 6 months (not 4 months) - why?

Reagan goes for her 4 month check-up tomorrow and the pedi is going to talk to us about starting rice cereal. She seems satisfied with BM only, but meets a lot of the other criteria for starting solids: doubled her weight, holds head up fine, stares at us intently while we're eating, etc.

I just don't know what decision I should make regarding when to start rice cereal. What's been your experience?

Adriana's Mommy January 27th, 2010 01:04 PM

Re: Starting Solids

I think it's best to start solids when your baby is ready for solids..

With my first, I waited until 6 months, but I knew she was ready for it around 4 months old.. Just by the way she was looking at me when I ate.. If I knew what I know now, I would have started at 4 months.. :) And my daughter's growth pattern never changed when we started solids.. She still grew vary slowly.. :)

ms.crystal January 27th, 2010 01:05 PM

I don't have alot of experience, but Bryce had his 4 month appt. last week, and she gave us the go ahead on starting solids. But she told me I could introduce him to applesauce about a month ago. But he has had rice cereal in his bottle due to his spitting up. I know some doctors do say 6 months, but Bryce was showing signs that he more than ready.

~Paula~ January 27th, 2010 01:09 PM

All my girls started at 3 months. Gerber also reccomends 3 months... Just watch your baby and listen to her needs. If she shows signs, so ahead and try, if she doesn't seem to do well with it, then stop for awhile. If she enjoys it, awesome.
You will ALWAYS hear opinions from others and someone will always disagree with you... remember, she is YOUR baby. :)

Vmarie5 January 27th, 2010 01:09 PM

if she is satisfied with BM.. then i would wait.. personally.

but as far as signs that shes ready, i would try it.. too. lol

maybe cereal mixed with EBM?

mommy2boys0809 January 27th, 2010 01:13 PM

I think the reasoning behind waiting till 6 months is allergies and I think it may be more for EBFing... I say if she is satisfied with just BM i would wait till you think she is needing solids. We introduced at 4.5 months with DS1 but he was ready before that. Ryan even though he has doubled birth weight and holds his head, he is still satisfied with BM and really isn't interested in what we are eating (yet...)

SusieQ2 January 27th, 2010 01:31 PM

If she seems satisfied with just BM then there's really no reason to start now. Most Drs recommend between 4-6 months. Our Dr says 6 months because by that point you can be sure that their body is ready to process solid food.

If your Dr gives you the go a head and you want to give it a try then go for it.

*Hayley* January 27th, 2010 01:36 PM

i will start cereal @ 5.5 months if not sooner... he is so ready now but w/ his sensitive tummy it makes me nervous. w/ cohen i waited till 5 months.

yoyomama January 27th, 2010 01:46 PM

I think i will start anytime after 6months or when she show signs of being ready idk!

With me bf iam afraid of having a dip in my supply so i have no clue ! :cry:

Snowpeas January 27th, 2010 02:44 PM

We're waiting until at least 6 months with Josiah and then we will introduce solids when he starts showing he's ready. Olivia was ready about a week after turning 6 months.

My family has a history of severe life threatening food allergies so that is why we choose to wait. And when we do introduce solids we introduce them very slowly.

Christine_D January 27th, 2010 03:13 PM

Thanks ladies! I am concerned b/c we are EBF and its been going so well - don't want my supply to suffer. I guess your body just adjustes so you might not make as much milk, but she doesn't need as much milk at the same time... ?

MellieB January 27th, 2010 04:20 PM

If she's satisfied with what she's getting now then there is no real reason to start.

Kierasmom January 27th, 2010 06:15 PM

Here is a AAP article..

http://www.healthychildren.org/Engli...lid-Foods.aspx

I usually start somewhere between 4-6 months, when baby shows signs of being ready.

Here is some interesting info on food allergies....

Medical News: Allergies Linked To Delaying Solid Foods - in Allergy & Immunology, Allergy from MedPage Today

SCOPE - Stanford University School of Medicine

rachelwilber January 27th, 2010 06:26 PM

We are not starting at around 6 mths. My son had a lot of allergies and didn't start solids until 7 months. So I don't want to rush her so we will see.

Miles' Mommy January 27th, 2010 08:13 PM

We have been thinking about starting solids at 4months. The doc said any time between 4-6months. DH really wants to start giving him cereal so I told him we can try it once Miles is 4 months. I have let Miles taste some hummus, and he LOVES it.
I do think if your LO is showing interest in food around 4 months and Milk doesn't seem to be enough alone it's worth trying.

TulipDawn January 28th, 2010 02:45 AM

Delaying solids also ensures their tongue-thrust has diminished. Peyton may be somewhat ready but she is still 4lbs under doubling her birth weight but since she takes crushed pills every day she doesn't have much of a tongue thrust and she stares at us every time we eat. I will still probably wait until she's 6 months to start.

Jaylas_Mommy January 28th, 2010 03:40 AM

we started jayla on cereal monday. the dr. said if she does good on it then go ahead and start veggies in a week...but im not so sure i wanna start veggies yet. i think we will wait a little closer to 5 months before we give her any veggies.

mommy2Breana+Brandon January 28th, 2010 06:07 AM

I will probably start Xander when he is 4 months but if he is anything like his sister it won't be until 6 months until he actually eats it and not spit it

klacey41 January 28th, 2010 07:36 AM

We started our boys on cereal when they were both 3 months because they were huge and totally interested in eating. I'm going to wait with Kadence and will start her at 6 months if doesn't act interested before. I hate only being able to nurse her before and after work and want her all to myself for a little longer.