JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2009 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/)
-   -   MMR shot - did your child get swollen lymph nodes after? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/1929025-mmr-shot-did-your-child-get-swollen-lymph-nodes-after.html)

mlbsnb April 1st, 2010 03:17 PM

MMR shot - did your child get swollen lymph nodes after?

LURKER! Just curious. My daughter has a fairly large swollen lymph node on one side of her neck. She had the MMR a few weeks ago. She did get a fever a week after the shot. The lymph node is about a cm. It has been enlarged for over a week. I noticed it by chance when I was rubbing her neck trying to help her sleep. The other side is not enlarged.
Thank you!

nat1970 April 1st, 2010 03:28 PM

Re: MMR shot - did your child get swollen lymph nodes after?

Nope, Leah didn't have any reactions to it. I would call your pedi though. Hope it is nothing.

meg0109 April 1st, 2010 05:52 PM

oh I don't know much about the MMR. We delayed it until 18 months. I hope your daughter is okay though. I'll pray for her!

rageybug April 1st, 2010 07:36 PM

Fiona did get a bit of a fever and some irritability after the MMR but no swollen nodes.

4monkiesmama April 1st, 2010 08:07 PM

We get it at 15 months but with my older three that never happened although I am sure it could!I would call your pedi!GL!

Madigan April 2nd, 2010 04:49 AM

Lola hasn't had the MMR yet. You might want to check out this site: Monthly VAERS Reports | mothering
And call your pedi. Though it is my guess the pedi will likely say it's not related to the vax, but maybe I'm just being cynical.

Good luck.

mlbsnb April 2nd, 2010 05:13 AM

Thanks everyone! I am assuming you all checked your kids lymph nodes after the vax, right? And that's how you knew it didn't happen? Just making sure since if you never checked you wouldn't really know if they were swollen, KWIM? Phoebe's is really hard to find unless you go poking around! I asked the Dr yesterday and she said to bring her in if it doesn't go away in a month. So I guess I'll just monitor it! The pediatrician said it is listed by CDC as a reaction to the vaccine, but its so subtle most moms probably would not even notice. My daughter is 26 months. I delayed the vaccination too - we're on an alternative schedule. Thanks again.

Chy&JsMomma April 2nd, 2010 06:44 AM

I just wanted to add...I am not sure what caused it but my son had a lymph node on his neck swollen too. It was probably at the biggest the size of a grape. I just wanted it to make sure it didnt get any bigger. I brought it up at the next visit and she felt around and it had already gone back to normal. It was probably there for about 3ish weeks? I am not positive. I only had the concern because I had a problem with a lymph node when I was like 10-11ish and had to have it removed. I know they can swell when they are sick too. He was a little sick during that time as well. The pedi didnt seem too concerned though since it went back down.

mommaspur October 26th, 2012 11:26 AM

my son was born in 2006. As a new mom wanting to do what the Dr. said was right, I made sure he recieved all of his scheduled vaccines. He did have the MMR (mumps, measles, rubella vaccine). He has had swollen lymph nodes in his neck since he was an infant... due to the MMR? Not sure. They range from pea sized (all the time) to grape sized (when sick). He occaisionally complains of neck pain in those spots where the lymph nodes are swollen. I have taken him to mulitple pediatricians over the last 6 years and none of them seem to know or care. He has been on different medications to help the swelling go down, and sometimes they do, but are always visible. The effects of the medication never seem to last very long. I was very concerned about cancerous cells developing, but no one seems to think it is an issue (even though the research i have done lists swollen lymph nodes in the neck as a symptom of cancer, lukemia etc). I dont know for sure that the swollen lymph nodes are related, but my gut says yes. Although we have not had any serious problems with his neck, it concerns me.

I advise anyone wanting to give their child the MMR vaccination to do their research and feel comfortable with giving it (or not giving it) to their child. I quit vaccinating my children about a year and a half ago based on several of the vaccines (chicken pox, rubella, hep A, imovax, mumps, measles, varicella are listed) that are grown in aborted baby cells. I am strongly pro-life and this goes against all I believe to be right. I had the chicken pox as a child, and lived through it scar free as did all of my friends. I very rarely hear of the chicken pox now, but know that if my child did get it, our bodies normal and God given immunities would help them live through it. I say that word "live" almost jokingly as I know it is not a death threatening virus. But you get my point.

I would love to know if any other parents have experienced similar and lingering condidtions with their children like my son has with the swollen lymph nodes in their necks or other places after receiving the MMR vaccine. It would be a relief to know the cause of this and wether it is something to continue to be concerned about or not.