JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2009 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/)
-   -   Weaning - breast, bottle, pacifier? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1831-2009-playroom/1946232-weaning-breast-bottle-pacifier.html)

TulipDawn April 17th, 2010 02:34 AM

Weaning - breast, bottle, pacifier?

I was just curious what everyone's plans were when it came to weaning from the breast or pacifier and if using bottles switching to only cups? What have you done in the past if you have other children?

Well, for Derrick I weaned him from bottle/pacifier at 9 months. I had no problems at all and he took great to the cup.

Xavier weaned himself from the breast at 9mos and since he never had a bottle we went straight to cup. No problems. However, we planned on taking away the pacifier at 9 months, however, he was admitted to the hospital (the reason he weaned nursing) and we decided to keep the pacifier until he was about 11mos.

Peyton was weaned from breast at 6mos. We will start weaning from the bottle when we are in the States (she will be about 9mos old). I am already giving her juice/water from a cup and she is doing "ok" with it. As far as the pacifier goes, well usually at 9mos we would wean but we will be in the States and with the stress of travel/time change we will be waiting until we come back to Italy and adjust back to the time - which will be at about 11mos.

Adriana's Mommy April 17th, 2010 05:05 PM

Re: Weaning - breast, bottle, pacifier?

I'll wean him off the bottle when he was ready.. I did this with my daughter and she refused the bottle and went to a sippy cup around 10 months old.. It was so easy.. I pray A.J will be the same..

MellieB April 17th, 2010 05:17 PM

When it happens here it happens. I introduce a sippy soon and so hopefully she will just naturally progress to it when she's ready.

As for the dummy, once she's old enough to have another comfort item in bed with her I will give her that and slowly wean from the dummy. I did that with Jassie at about 11 months.

disturbedangel121 April 17th, 2010 05:22 PM

I will probably do the same as I did with jeffrey and introduce the sippy at 9 months and get rid of the bottles completely at 12 months. Neither of my boys were ever really into binkies so that is not a problem here..

MommaDucks April 17th, 2010 05:26 PM

breast: whenever she is ready. Could be next week or next year.

bottle: between 9 mo and 1 yr, both my boys were off the bottle at 9 mos

paci: she won't take one and I need her to :lol: Thomas we took his away at 15 mos. Collin gave it up on his own at 8-9 mos

mommy2Breana+Brandon April 17th, 2010 06:01 PM

Xander won't take a nuk at all. Bottles he only gets at daycare, sippy when he his a year.

Boobs when he decides he is ready

SusieQ2 April 17th, 2010 06:50 PM

I'm hoping to just let Jillian self wean so when ever that happens it happens. Pacifier whenever I feel like it's a good time. I'm a go with the flow kind of mom and do what feels right when it feels right. I found that with DS I would end up stressing myself out by setting certain goals for things and then I'd get upset if it didn't happen.

sara_ann April 17th, 2010 07:34 PM

With Ava I started giving her a sippy cup around 7-8 months, just to try out. Usually I put breastmilk in it for her. Both of them only have bottles when I'm gone or at daycare. So we started giving a cup more and more until she was used to it.

I will probably go a year bfing Elijah if we can and just start replacing a nursing with a cup. This went super smooth with Ava.

As for the pacifier, he doesn't seem as attached it it as Ava did. We started about 9 months only giving it to her in bed and then one night (at about 18 months) I just didn't give it to her and she was fine with it. Elijah already only uses it in his bed or when I'm rocking him so hopefully his will be easy too. I don't have a problem using it as a bedtime thing for a longer amount of time. My theory with Ava was that she wouldn't go to college with it and she'd eventually give it up, but I did make sure it stayed in her crib.

Peytonsmomma April 18th, 2010 12:08 AM

she only takes a binky when she is tired so that will be easy to wean
and i have already started introducing the sippy cup to her but i think i am going to get her a different cup
and i'll wean the bottle when i think she is ready to wean