JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Alarming Weight Gain (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/1788462-alarming-weight-gain.html)

Racine November 30th, 2009 02:08 PM

Alarming Weight Gain

I had a dr. appt today, I'm about 23 weeks.....

I had gained a total of 3 pounds the entire pregnancy before this appt. and suddenly, in five weeks I gained 6 pounds.

6 POUNDS IN 5 WEEKS!

I don't know, but this seems like a frickin' ton! I guess maybe I went a little overboard at Thanksgiving?

I am just hoping this does not become a trend because I wanted to max out my weight gain at 20 pounds.

Has anyone else gained more than they've wanted to at this point?

Amanda C November 30th, 2009 02:11 PM

Re: Alarming Weight Gain

Are you sure it's not just water retention? Did you eat a lot of salty stuff over Thanksgiving?

Racine November 30th, 2009 02:14 PM

It could be water weight....I usually eat a mainly gluten/dairy free diet but kind of threw that out over the holiday weekend, so that probably had something to do with it....but still! I'm paranoid now that it's just going to keep going up at this awful rate!

TeamNick November 30th, 2009 02:18 PM

I bet it is water weight.

I am still doing OK on the weight front. I remember last time the final weeks were horrible I was putting on a couple pounds a week for the last month!

CanadianLou November 30th, 2009 02:27 PM

I have put on more than I want. I am only 18 weeks 5 days and I have put on about 10 pounds. I was hoping to keep it at max 15lbs. That means I only have 5lbs left to gain...hummm...I think I'll be blowing my weight plans.

Katie81 November 30th, 2009 02:52 PM

Seems normal now that we are in the 2nd trimester. I had gained nothing until 16 weeks and then gained 6 lbs between 16 and 20 weeks. That is how it went with my first pregnancy too. I gained probably 1.5 lbs a week during the 2nd trimester

onelove1109 November 30th, 2009 03:39 PM

I had gained 9 lbs by 16 weeks...Now at 21 weeks I am up to 10lbs. I was really freaked out as well..my doctor said it is fine. He said some women gain it in the beginning..and some in the end. Since that appt I have been super neurotic about my weight though.

SerendipitysChild November 30th, 2009 03:41 PM

Yeah, with this pregnancy I am averaging about a pound a week. Already have my fitness, diet plan in place for after Elijah gets here because I want it to come right back off asap!!!

krissy1989 November 30th, 2009 03:55 PM

That seems very normal to me, even if it's not water retention. What to Expect When You're Expecting says that "the sensible and safe pregnancy weight gain for the average woman is between 25 and 35 pounds" by the end of the pregnancy. So, I don't think that you should put extra stress on yourself by wanting to gain too little weight. You look small to begin with, and only women who're 10-20% or more overweight can safely gain less than that (though no less than 15 lbs total, and they have to be carefully monitored). The book's approximate breakdown of your entire pregnancy weight gain goes like this:

1st Trimester: Approximately 3-4 pounds
2nd Trimester: 12-14 pounds
3rd Trimester: 8-10 pounds

Total Pregnancy Gain Breakdown:
Baby - 7.5 pounds
Placenta - 1.5 pounds
Amniotic Fluid - 2 pounds
Uterine Enlargement - 2 pounds
Maternal Breast Tissue - 2 pounds
Maternal Blood Volume - 4 pounds
Fluids in Maternal Tissue - 4 pounds
Maternal Fat Stores - 7 pounds

That's an approximate gain of 30 lbs (+/- 5 lbs depending on individual and baby), and that breakdown is completely healthy and normal. :)

Since you're 2/3 done with your 2nd Trimester, and you've only gained 6lbs since the 1st Trimester, you're not even close to the 12 lb normal 2nd Trimester weight gain. So, definitely don't worry. You're not getting "fat." It's healthy for the baby. =)

****I'm going to make this post into a new thread. :) ****

QueenCrafty November 30th, 2009 04:01 PM

If you break it down, it's only a smidgen over a pound a week so that's not bad at all. Some weeks are going to be different than others. I'm more concerned because I haven't gained more than 2 pounds and I'm almost halfway there.

JBmom88 November 30th, 2009 05:16 PM

I'm 20 weeks and gained around 11lbs now. I feel huge... My friend is 8 months and has only gained 10lbs total lol.

I'm hoping it slows down a bit.

JBmom88 November 30th, 2009 05:21 PM

sorry double post

k8liz311 November 30th, 2009 05:30 PM

For the 1st 12 weeks I didn't gain anything. And then between 12 and 17 weeks I gained 7!! I was in shock. Between 17 and 21 I gained another 5. So yes I'm gaining a ton too.. but the doc said it's completely normal. I've only gained 12 total and I'm more than halfway through. I only gained 29 with my son so I hope it's going to be about the same this time.

becker206 November 30th, 2009 07:34 PM

That is EXACTLY what happened to me. I had only gained three pounds at my 16 week appointment. I weighed myself this morning at 19 weeks and I have gained 6 lbs!!

DondraB November 30th, 2009 08:01 PM

I'll be 19 weeks tomorrow....at my last appointment I was down 2lbs. I gained 0lbs from the time I got pregnant til 12 weeks when I dropped 2lbs.....I go back to the dr on Wed so I'm anxious to see if I've gained anything-since I hardly ate anything at Thankssgiving and ended up puking on Fri night!

niema November 30th, 2009 09:29 PM

UGH! I difinately have gained at least 6-7 lbs in the last 6wks. I wont know for sure until Wednesday.

Chelnae6 December 1st, 2009 08:57 AM

I hadnt gained anything until 12 weeks. And then between 15 and 20 weeks I've gained 9lbs. 3 of which came over thanksgiving break lol.

I'm not too worried though. A friend of mine had already gained 20 lbs by 22 weeks so Im just grateful that that isnt me.

babymine December 1st, 2009 09:08 AM

dont flame me but I havent gained anything...I've lost five pounds, but I've had some wicked morning sickness for about 7 weeks.....we'll see if its any different now that MS has FINALLY finished....although I did have the stomach flu.

Love_the_Shoes December 1st, 2009 01:11 PM

I am 22 weeks today and have gained a total of 10 lbs. so far (2 lbs I think are water weight b/c I drank a lot of water yesterday, but you never know).

I am going to continue to eat healthy and I already have my treadmill on stand-by for after Alyssa is here. I am finding myself craving sugar which I'm trying to say no too. I never eat sugary "bad sugar" foods, but I am craving them.

The good thing for us giving birth in April/early May is 1.) the warmer weather slowly approaching, 2.) cute baby-doll type tunic tank-tops to hide our "flaws", 3.) yoga type capri's and skirts and summery dresses and 4.) good bye "comfort winter food", hello fresh fruits and salads! <--having warmer weather and longer days will make it so we won't want to eat a lot of starches.