JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Natural ways to induce labor once you are 37 weeks plus? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/1838147-natural-ways-to-induce-labor-once-you-37-weeks-plus.html)

Gemini2323 January 15th, 2010 02:41 PM

Natural ways to induce labor once you are 37 weeks plus?

I am ready to have this baby, at least once I hit 37 weeks on Monday. Does anyone have any tips/advice or have tried things in previous pregnancies? With my son my water broke at 34 weeks 2 days so I didn't have to do anything, this time I'm so uncomfortable and my feet stay swollen 24 hours a day and it's very painful. I know she'll come when she's ready but is there anything I can do to help things along. I will not take castor oil! I have been drinking Raspberry Leaf Tea to help tone my uterus and may started eating fresh pineapple next week. Does sex really help and walking a lot?

CS January 15th, 2010 02:45 PM

Re: Natural ways to induce labor once you are 37 weeks plus?

This is my first...I don't know if sex helps. I told DH we need to start DTD daily so that perhaps it will help ripen my cervix and stuff and he just gave me a really stunned funny look like I was crazy....not about having sex but my reason for wanting to have sex. Sorry but sex is kinda uncomfortable lately so it isn't that I don't want to have sex but it isn't the greatest anymore.

I personally wouldn't take castor oil either.

I have started drinking raspberry leaf tea...I figure it won't induce but can tone my uterus...and if it does nothing it still actually tastes pretty good.

Someone told me to do squats to get the baby to go lower faster...I don't know if that helps or not. I try and do 2 sets of 10 daily...but I look at it more that I am trying to help tone my thighs a bit.

Elese January 15th, 2010 02:55 PM

my mom and grandmother swear by scrubbing the kitchen floor on your hands and knees lol
i took Evening Primrose Oil at 35wks. If your cervix is ripening it helps things along. it doesnt put you in labor just help what your body is already doing. with my big ole boy i went into labor at 37wks.

sex is a big one...my husband felt cheap as i asked for it nightly with our son a few days before i went into labor. it was the funniest thing. But i know he got more joy than i did lol

10x_A_Mommy January 15th, 2010 02:56 PM

There are tons of methods - but I would definitely talk to your Dr/Midwife about each one first.

I use EPO to soften the cervix, and RRL to tone the uterus, but the only 'induction technique' I'll try is sex. Been there done that with others before and unless your Body is ready - you can try every method in the book and none will work. Will just leave your worn out, more frustrated, with sore nipples, or diarrhea (depending on which methods you try).

StarDustMaMa January 15th, 2010 04:36 PM

Do NOT do the castor oil... I did that with my first and all I got was the runs!!! With my second, I just stayed very active and lots of sex and wow did she come VERY easily then once labor started at 36 weeks... I wasnt even "trying" to go into labor tho, but I swear it helped the labor and delivery go very quick lol I went from 4cm-10cm AND crowning in only 12 mins, literally... and push? whats that? lol I had to hold her in until the dr could get there!!

Mommyto2Girls January 15th, 2010 06:14 PM

I wouldn't try castor oil either, I heard it only gives you the runs. I guess the idea behind it is diarrhea can lead to contractions, but only if your body is ready and personally the idea of going to the hospital with the runs freaks me out. I would say staying active, and walking can help your body prepare for labor. I was very active when I was pregnant with my daughter. I went shopping, did gardening, cleaned my whole house the weekend she was born and I had a pretty easy labor.

mommyof3now January 15th, 2010 07:13 PM

SEX is my favorite and worked w/ DD

Hazelnut Latte January 15th, 2010 07:17 PM

I did everything under the sun (except drink castor oil) last time up until 42 weeks and not a THING happened to even get my cervix ready for labor! I have no idea how long he planned to be in there because my cervix was still hard and long.

However, if your body is closer to ready than mine was, sex seems to be the only thing that sounds like it's reliable. I've heard tons of people swear by it more than any other method.

sillymomma January 15th, 2010 08:18 PM

Sorry i am sneakin in from the March group... I am gonna do the EPO, RRL extract (starting at 35 weeks with EPO), pineapple, squatting, walking, scrubbing, everything except castor which i tried with my last three kids and it only made me gag, didn't even give me diarreah. :)

Mizz*Stewart January 15th, 2010 10:16 PM

Walking with one foot on and one foot off the curb, stairs, and I have heard of some cohash, but I dont trust taking things besides epo and the rrl tea, nothing that will make baby come unless s/he's ready!!!

MarieK January 16th, 2010 08:12 AM

AGree with the previous posts castro oil = not fun.

With DD here is what I did starting at 37 weeks. She came at around 39, probably due to it being her time not anything I did to help the process to be honest:

Sex every day sometimes more than once a day.
Stair walking a few times a day.
Baths
Walking the mall. My friends and I did a lot of shopping those last few days, I think we were just using walking the baby out as an excuse though :)

justjaQ January 16th, 2010 02:34 PM

well, i obviously won't be trying anything this time around, but i was a big fan of red raspberry leaf pills and evening primrose oil (pills as close to the cervix as possible, at bedtime-- when they leak, it's pretty yucky) from 34 weeks on, in my first two pregnancies.
and i went into labour immediately after having sex, and then nipple stimulation (basically twisting back and forth a bit, while i sat in the bathtub relaxing), with my second pregnancy, at 36.5 weeks. she was born very quickly after that, but i know for a fact that my body was VERY ready to have her (i had just seen my OB, and lost my mucous plug-- i was 3cm, and crampy and felt like something was missing, 'down there'-- the feeling of the plug being gone, i always assumed?), and the sex/oxytocin probably wouldn't have done anything at all, if i hadn't been.

good luck hon. i would avoid castor oil at all costs too, personally-- seems people are either for or against it, but i would be worried about side effects, and figure that i would just end up with diarrhea, with my luck, haha~ :lol:

walking never helped me. i told mike no sex for now, unless maybe we use a condom. i have really been wanting to though, TMI!!!

but hey-- congrats on making it to term this time! :yellowcheer: that is freakin awesome, considering your last pregnancy didn't make it past your 34th week.

Brie January 16th, 2010 03:55 PM

I'm right there with you with all the swelling. My midwife told me to soak in a bathtub every day for something like 45 minutes with lots of epsom salt - she said buy a huge bag and use 1/2 for each bath. It has helped a little bit. Sadly, I honestly don't think there is anything out there to "put" you into labor. From the research I've done, and also talking to midwives and doulas, you won't go into labor until you are good and ready. There are things, previously mentioned, that can help ripen your cervix. I agree with you and everyone else - avoid castor oil at all costs. I've heard it only gives you the runs, vomiting and cramping.

BrokenBubby89 October 3rd, 2013 12:06 PM

I am a little over 37 weeks and my doctor as already stripped my membranes. I am in so much pain in my back that i can barely get outta bed. I have tried everything from walking to the nasty oil and nothing has worked. My contractions are about 15-20 mins apart, i cant go much longer with this pain, does anyone have any suggestions?

WoodysWife2005 October 13th, 2013 12:17 PM

Castor oil and Rootbeer works like a charm!