JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Second Sling/Baby Carrier Post (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/1864891-second-sling-baby-carrier-post.html)

ChrissySTL February 6th, 2010 04:38 PM

Second Sling/Baby Carrier Post

I know someone just asked a question about these but I need opinions. I want to register for one but looking online I really like the more pouch style ones. I know someone mentioned that these are not safe, but is it all of the pouch style ones that are unsafe? Or just that infantino one?

I looked at the Maya and Moby wrap as well as the Ultimate Organic Baby Sling and they just aren't my style. There are 2 at BRU (where I am registered at) that I like and seem to have high ratings but I am wondering if any of you have any insight? I am looking at....

Hotslings Pouch Style Carrier - Shabby Chic (Size 3) - Hotslings - Babies "R" Us

and....

Jelly Bean Reversible Sling - Licorice Blossom (Small/Medium) - Munchkin - Babies "R" Us

Have any of you used any of these?

Twhylite21 February 6th, 2010 04:51 PM

Re: Second Sling/Baby Carrier Post

A bag sling, like the Infantino one that is bad, tends to have deeper sides so it almost covers baby's face. A pouch sling, like the Hotsling, is shallower so baby is able to breathe and you can see them more. I have a few friends who have a Hotsling and really like it. I have one friend who has the Jellybean Munchkin one and she finds it pretty uncomfortable, but I've never tried it myself.

k8liz311 February 6th, 2010 05:01 PM

I had a hotsling and hated it. I never used it.. and ended up selling it. I felt like the baby was smooshed and he was never comfortable in it.
But I think some people love it..

Racine February 6th, 2010 07:17 PM

I posted this in the other thread also, but when I saw you were looking at a hotsling I had to warn you....
I also did NOT like my hotsling. It was great when Aiden was older, like starting at 9-10 months and could sit up in the hip carry, but those few months of using it were hardly worth it. He hated it and it always felt like it was falling off.

I liked the look of it over the ones like the Moby, but in the long run I think a wrap is probably a better bet, I'm getting a Sleepy Wrap for this baby.

QueenCrafty February 6th, 2010 07:56 PM

I had a Peanut sling which is made like a hotsling. I didn't find it very comfortable though.

Amanda C February 7th, 2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racine (Post 18956244)
I posted this in the other thread also, but when I saw you were looking at a hotsling I had to warn you....
I also did NOT like my hotsling. It was great when Aiden was older, like starting at 9-10 months and could sit up in the hip carry, but those few months of using it were hardly worth it. He hated it and it always felt like it was falling off.

I liked the look of it over the ones like the Moby, but in the long run I think a wrap is probably a better bet, I'm getting a Sleepy Wrap for this baby.

That's the one I've been looking at also. It's priced right and looks perfect. Do you know anyone who's actually used one?
Baby Wrap - Baby Carrier | Sleepy Wrap

Racine February 7th, 2010 09:00 AM

Yup, my sister has five kids and used it for four of them...she has had every carrier under the sun and the Sleepy Wrap is the one she recommended to me.

Amanda C February 7th, 2010 09:06 AM

When they are newborn and don't have head control do you just use the Hammock Hold method? I'm so new to this wrap thing but I definitely see the benefits.

Brannyt February 7th, 2010 10:36 AM

I have a jellybean munchkin, and I really like how convertible it is.

ChrissySTL February 7th, 2010 12:02 PM

Man! Now I don't know what to get! Back to square one...I might just have to settle on the Moby Wrap! It is just so much fabric! It's definitely not my style but I might just have to get over that because I do really like the idea of having a sling so I can hold baby close and get things done.

mylene169 February 7th, 2010 12:09 PM

I have a wrap style carrier and I LOVED carrying Kaija in it. She loved snuggling in close and I could pretty much cover her entirely and walk anywhere with her in it. I could also zip my coat over it when it was cooler outside and she'd be plenty warm. A guy actually stopped us on a walk one day and asked if I had cotton candy in my coat :) However, I will say that the one downfall of it is it's not easy for me to put on anywhere other than at home. For instance, I can't take it to the mall and put it on in the parking lot and carry my baby. When I did want to do that I'd put it on at home under my coat and then put baby in it when we got there. So that was kind of inconvenient, but overall I really loved it and can't wait to bust it out again! The first couple of times figure out how to put it on were tricky, but once I got the hang of it it only took me a few minutes. My friends thought it was weird, but once they saw how comfy Kaija and I were they were impressed! Also, if you are more slender than I am, you could always put it on and see how much extra fabric you have on the ends and trim some off so it isn't sooooo long. I personally need the length! :D

Twhylite21 February 7th, 2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrissySTL (Post 18961771)
Man! Now I don't know what to get! Back to square one...I might just have to settle on the Moby Wrap! It is just so much fabric! It's definitely not my style but I might just have to get over that because I do really like the idea of having a sling so I can hold baby close and get things done.

Have you thought about getting a Mei Tai carrier like a Babyhawk, Ergo, or Beco? You can use them from birth on up and do a few carries with them (front and back). They're really comfortable as well and some have buckles instead of ties (Ergo and Beco are buckles, Babyhawk is a tie) and less fabric.

I love my Babyhawk, I sold my Moby, and I have a Balboa sling but I haven't used that much. I'm debating between a Beco and an Ergo right now as well.

Here's a few links: Babyhawk

Ergo

Beco

Mrs_Hub February 9th, 2010 06:50 AM

You can also check out thebabywearer.com. There's a reviews database for many different brands/styles of carriers.