JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Pregnancy/Baby books (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/1930756-pregnancy-baby-books.html)

RunningWithBoys April 3rd, 2010 03:20 PM

Pregnancy/Baby books

Hey ladies!

Is anyone reading any pregnancy or baby books? I remember reading at least 2 front to back with DS, but haven't picked one up this go round. :rolleyes:

I will read the baby books again though! I loved Baby Whisper. It really saved us! Evan loved the "routine" that books suggests to set up.

What are y'all reading baby wise??
Amanda

lulumama April 3rd, 2010 03:37 PM

Re: Pregnancy/Baby books

I've got the usual suspects - "What to Expect" and "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" which I think I pretty much read cover to cover in my first few weeks, and now haven't picked up for a few weeks (though DH occasionally flips through them!)

I've also got "The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth" by Kitzinger, which I like, though it focuses a lot more on the later stages of pregnancy and (obviously) delivery, so I can't relate to a lot of it (yet) but I like her philosophy (I think.)

No baby books yet. I just heard about a book called "The Good Birth" (I think) that I'm going to look into getting as well.

~Kris~ April 3rd, 2010 03:55 PM

I have a What to Expect book and then something else called something like Girlfriends guide to Pregnancy-talks about pregnancy from a more humorous side.

I read thm both while pregnant with my first, skimmed them with my second, but haven't touched them this time.

LuckyShamrock3 April 3rd, 2010 04:07 PM

I haven't heard of "Baby Whisper" but will have to check it out. I traded in all of my old wedding books for pregnancy books on Book Club to Swap, Trade & Exchange Books for Free., so I have TONS. So far, I've read "The Mother of All Pregnancy Books", "YOU: Having a Baby", and working on "The Idiot's Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth" and "What to Expect..."

alethia April 3rd, 2010 04:10 PM

not reading anything this time around! I read several with ds though!!

The Heather April 3rd, 2010 05:19 PM

I read What to Expect When Expecting when I was pregnant with DD. This time, I have only read an American Baby magazine.

SSgt_Wifey_USMC April 4th, 2010 08:01 AM

i usually just read anything i'm paranoid about lol

i have the what to expect series, the pregnancy countdown.

erinelizabeth83 April 4th, 2010 08:09 AM

I read tons of pregnancy books when I was pregnant with DS but this time I haven't read anything. I think it's a combination of aleady knowing about pregnancy and having a busy one year old that wouldn't let me read even if I wanted to.

dalynnrmc April 4th, 2010 11:05 AM

I had my mother get me the newest edition of "What to Expect" for my birthday. :wub: Of course, it was a month late, but hey, she got it for me. LOL I read it along with countless others during my first pregnancy. I tried to do the same during my second, but was bored because I wasn't getting any new info, and thus stumbled onto internet chat rooms, etc. :rolleyes: (Ohhhh yeah!! So THAT is where it started!! hehehe)

But, having been 6 years since I did this, I wanted the info on what may have changed since I last knew. Not that pregnancy has changed, but what the hospitals recommend may have. I'm enjoying it - reading it in spurts, and thankful for what seems to be new sections on diet and other biggies.

After our move I'll probably seek out some labor and delivery books. Haven't read any of those - just something that has come to me naturally I guess. But, I think my coach (mom) might not be able to make it to this one, so I need to prepare a little better - and get hubby prepared.

Not sure if I'll do the What to Expect the First Year book or not. Never have before, and was thinking I might, but at this point I think we might do enough differently - out of the mainstream - that I'm not sure how helpful that book will be. I'll probably ask around in the homeschooling and AP circles once we get moved.

Some that are on my list for sure have to do with vaccine info. I already plan to selectively and delay vax, but I don't really have an idea of which I'll select or deselect or which I'll delay or do on time. KWIM? I mean there are a few I know that we'll skip entirely or that we'll for sure have on time, but it's very few and I want more info. That'll be fun. :rolleyes:

*Ava's Mommy* April 4th, 2010 11:10 AM

i have what to expect when you're expexting and i read on the internet pregnancy week by week

ardisbaby April 4th, 2010 02:09 PM

Just "what to expect when you are expecting" so far. My birthing center has a library full of books to borrow so I want to grab some on labor/birth and one about infants when I go next week. I listen to tons of podcasts, that's my favorite way to learn about things!

RunningWithBoys April 4th, 2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardisbaby (Post 19684752)
Just "what to expect when you are expecting" so far. My birthing center has a library full of books to borrow so I want to grab some on labor/birth and one about infants when I go next week. I listen to tons of podcasts, that's my favorite way to learn about things!

OOH!! Me too! Do you listen to Pregtastic?? What is your favorite podcast about pregnancy? I need to find some more.

SuggaBabe April 4th, 2010 08:02 PM

Belly laughs was a good one my second time around its by Jenny Mcarthy, and hysterical as she always is