JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   My Dietician visit today (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2049076-my-dietician-visit-today.html)

ladybugmomma July 21st, 2010 09:23 PM

My Dietician visit today

First I met with the dietician nurse, she gave me and showed me how to use the finger pricker. I still jump every time but it is NOTHING. I was dreading that needle SO bad LOL
It does freak the crap out of me that I am now at risk for regular diabetes :( More incentive to diet and get in shape after Layla is born.
Then I met with the dietician, she didn't really give me any information I didn't know. She said to stick pretty much with my regular eating habits and we'll see next week. Of course I;m not, I am eating healthier. No treats for me. I have to test 6 times right now, fasting and after breakfast and before and after lunch and dinner. She said that was to get a good idea if I would need insulin.
The numbers here are different though. I have to be under 7.8 for meals. From what I can find online 7.8 is the same as 140. My fasting has to be 5.3, 5.5 is 99. My fasting seems to have to be lower then most ladies on here but my meals seem like they can be higher.

AtomicMama July 21st, 2010 09:38 PM

Re: My Dietician visit today

I'm glad to hear that the finger prick isn't as bad as you were anticipating :) I would have been worried about that too...I hate having my fingers poked for giving blood!

Also, I really hope that GD doesn't lead to regular diabetes for you. From what I've read, a lot of ladies with GD never end up developing diabetes outside of pregnancy...hopefully you are one of them :)

And while the dietician didn't give you any tips...it sounds like you have a pretty good plan. Hopefully your numbers will be great while testing and you won't have to do any major adjusting or start insulin. Keep us posted on how everything goes!

ladybugmomma July 21st, 2010 09:59 PM

Thanks Amy! I haven't known anyone to develop it later. I was "insulated" :rofl: before so this will give me and DH motivation to lose weight after.
My number after dinner was 6.3, my limit is 7.8 so I am very excited! Plus Jenny mentioned a app called glucose buddy. I found it, it's free and it;s awesome. I was writing things down but now I can put it all on my iphone :)

Kumii July 22nd, 2010 04:21 AM

Good job!! It really sounds like you are keeping it under control. Sorry you have to diet, I hope you can find some treats that you can eat. Just a little bit more to go!!

~Kris~ July 22nd, 2010 04:54 AM

I'm glad the appt went well. Sorry about the finger pricks-those seem to hurt more than regular needles sometimes. Hopefully you build up tolerance to them.

I hope your numbers stay where they should be and it sounds like you're doing well with eating and a plan for afterwards to avoid regular diabetes.

ameriguat July 22nd, 2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugmomma (Post 20940996)
Plus Jenny mentioned a app called glucose buddy. I found it, it's free and it;s awesome. I was writing things down but now I can put it all on my iphone :)

I like it better than carrying a paper with me everywhere too!!! :)

When I went they said my fastings are suppose to be under 100 and after hr meals under 130. I still don't like when my fasting numbers even though most times they are under 100. I am a habitual pricker especially if my numbers are high after I eat, I'm bad, I'll go for a power walk in my office then test again...ha ha...it works! I'm nervous too about getting diabetes after the baby too. I really wish I never had this but I'm going to be working on losing weight after this baby comes.

mrsdaiwa24 July 22nd, 2010 06:42 AM

Sounds like you're already off to a great start! Good luck!

Renwick2002 July 22nd, 2010 08:12 AM

I was a habitual pricker too until I ran out before my insurance was ready to cover more strips. I won't pay 119 bucks for strips, LOL !

If I get one number over I so badly want to reprick because I always get a lower number elsewhere. But now that I've caught on to the best amount of blood, clean hands, blah blah blah... I try to make sure I have a perfect situation to avoid pricking again.

I learned the hard way with not enough blood. I would get readings in the 140's over something low in carbs and so I would redo it with a glob of blood and it would in the 90's. I've messed up so many times you would think I'm incompetent with finger pricking, haha.

Ladybug, the reaction of your numbers will truly depend on who you are working with. Some are very strict, some give leeway, some hardly monitor like mine.

VeronicaBride July 22nd, 2010 09:08 AM

Your numbers to be under are a bit higher than mine. I have to be under 5.2 for fasting and 6.6 for after meals. I am finding it pretty manageable though.

ladybugmomma July 22nd, 2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ameriguat (Post 20943024)
I like it better than carrying a paper with me everywhere too!!! :)

When I went they said my fastings are suppose to be under 100 and after hr meals under 130. I still don't like when my fasting numbers even though most times they are under 100. I am a habitual pricker especially if my numbers are high after I eat, I'm bad, I'll go for a power walk in my office then test again...ha ha...it works! I'm nervous too about getting diabetes after the baby too. I really wish I never had this but I'm going to be working on losing weight after this baby comes.

So my fasting have to be under 5.3 which I think is 98. it was 6.0 today :( How do I get it lower? I can understand the "need" to prick again.I have 2 sample packs so far, I have to go pick up more and see how much our extended medical covers. They are $100 for a pack of a 100. We should get 80% covered though. Ok so when you reprick after a power walk, how long of a power walk? And what number do you record?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renwick2002 (Post 20944238)
I was a habitual pricker too until I ran out before my insurance was ready to cover more strips. I won't pay 119 bucks for strips, LOL !

If I get one number over I so badly want to reprick because I always get a lower number elsewhere. But now that I've caught on to the best amount of blood, clean hands, blah blah blah... I try to make sure I have a perfect situation to avoid pricking again.

I learned the hard way with not enough blood. I would get readings in the 140's over something low in carbs and so I would redo it with a glob of blood and it would in the 90's. I've messed up so many times you would think I'm incompetent with finger pricking, haha.

Ladybug, the reaction of your numbers will truly depend on who you are working with. Some are very strict, some give leeway, some hardly monitor like mine.

Ok what do you mean ideal situation? Yesterday I was SO mad, cause twice I pricked and it wasn't enough blood to get sucked in and instead of a number it said error. 2 strips just wasted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeronicaBride (Post 20945023)
Your numbers to be under are a bit higher than mine. I have to be under 5.2 for fasting and 6.6 for after meals. I am finding it pretty manageable though.

Wow. I'm allowed alot higher for meals. I wonder if that's bad.

Renwick2002 July 22nd, 2010 10:12 AM

Does your pricker have a number scroll to make a deeper prick? I've had to turn mine up some and I tend to prick on the last 3 fingers (middle to pinky). I try to rub my finger down some to get the blood going. I often have to milk my finger a bit for some extra blood. If it's not a nice size glob of blood I redo it without even thinking now! The best results I get is when the blood rushes together all at once and fills the strip which means I need more than a little drop. If it squeaks down you can forget about it .... error or false high reading :-(

It's trial and error and you'll figure it out. For instance, make sure the hand sanitizer is completely dry or your hands are completely dry. I aim my finger down a bit when I prick. It's taken a month to know how my meter responds. I have a One Touch Ultra Mini and it's very sensitive so I just make sure it gets my blood, plenty of it, all at once.

Oh if you want your fasting lower try some nice protein as a bedtime snack.

EDIT: Protein and carbs but the protein helps keep it level so sometimes I go a little heavier on the protein at night.

alethia July 22nd, 2010 10:20 AM

Sounds like it was a pretty good appointment and your off on the right food. It's funny how each ob wants numbers a little different - mine wanted fasting at 90 or below and after meals around 120'ish but didn't want me to call (with DS) until 160 to 180. you would think everyone would have the same guidelines. I hope your numbers stay great mama! Not too much longer!

ladybugmomma July 22nd, 2010 03:29 PM

Thanks Christine, I am frustrated today :( First my fasting number was 6.0 (107) then I had 2 pieces of squirrelly bread with a little butter and peanut butter. And a homemade london fog. ( which is decaf tea, 1/2 cup milk, 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla syrup), my 1 hr was 8.6 :( ( 154)
Then my mom brought me a small sugar free london fog for a treat :( I felt bad not having it, I finished about 3/4 of it, and then had a fibre one bar. My reading was 7.5 Under what I am allowed after a meal, however I thought it was high for a before lunch reading.
I had a WW hotbug bun and a smokie, raw veggies and some cottage cheese for lunch. We'll see how my reading is.
I have the one touch ultra mini too. I'm figuring out how to get more blood. Mine is set to 4 right now, if I push on my finger more comes out.
I had a couple bites of cottage cheese last night, I guess not enough for my fasting # today.
Alethia, it does seem like there should be just one number to go by. You limits would stress me like crazy, I;m having a hard time today with my limits.
Can stress affect your blood sugar numbers?

VeronicaBride July 22nd, 2010 05:31 PM

My doctor told me stress does not affect the numbers at all but i really think it does. When I have a particularly bad day at work I find my numbers higher.

ladybugmomma July 22nd, 2010 05:44 PM

Well my after lunch, which was at 3 LOL, was 6.6 YAY! I wonder if stress can affect my numbers. We are in the middle of moving and I was VERY crabby this morning LOL