JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   What foods do you avoid (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2107527-what-foods-do-you-avoid.html)

ash901 September 18th, 2010 12:20 PM

What foods do you avoid

while breastfeeding? Just wondering what your big NO-NO's are. I have been trying to keep it bland with only one caffine drink a day.

Frangipani September 18th, 2010 02:40 PM

Re: What foods do you avoid

coffee and alcohol are really the only 2 things I'm avoiding

Wifey2Jordan September 18th, 2010 02:50 PM

I didn't really avoid anything with my first son except caffeine. This time, its another story. Reid had a couple really bad days, super cranky and gassy. I've eliminated most dairy, chocolate, and no caffeine. He seems to be doing much better. I also stay away from onions, and spicy stuff. My diet is pretty bland and boring right now. I'm hoping he gets a little better and I can introduce things back in soon....especially before pumpkin spice latte season is over at starbucks! I miss them!!!! :lol:

alethia September 18th, 2010 03:02 PM

just limit caffeine and booze but everything else is pretty well filtered by your body. even a drink of either won't hurt while b/f you just can't go nutty

ScottishBrit September 18th, 2010 09:52 PM

I hear Beer is supposed to be good for you while your BFing. Something to do with the yeast...The only thing Im avoiding Is Alcohol and spicy foods. I have coffee everyonce in a while and dairy hasn't been a problem.

(Mayhem) September 18th, 2010 09:55 PM

I have limited coffee but I must admit I am drinking more of it now than I was while pregnant. Keeping me sane lol.
I haven't really changed my diet much, but so far there has been no reason to. Ethan loves mama's milk!

Kumii September 19th, 2010 05:58 AM

Food-wise I am not avoiding anything. I am being careful with spicy meals but that is about it. Staying away from alcohol. Nurses and doctor's mentioned that a cup of coffee in the morning won't hurt, but I am not a coffee drinker.

pbcups10 September 19th, 2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wifey2Jordan (Post 21560094)
I didn't really avoid anything with my first son except caffeine. This time, its another story. Reid had a couple really bad days, super cranky and gassy. I've eliminated most dairy, chocolate, and no caffeine. He seems to be doing much better. I also stay away from onions, and spicy stuff. My diet is pretty bland and boring right now. I'm hoping he gets a little better and I can introduce things back in soon....especially before pumpkin spice latte season is over at starbucks! I miss them!!!! :lol:

I could've wrote that myself. Alexandra had a rough day a few days ago with gas so I also am eliminating dairy, chocolate and spicy foods and limiting caffeine. It seems to be working. I did the same thing with DS who had acid reflux and I didn't mind... it was a great way to force myself to be good and lose the baby weight.
I had half of a bottle of beer last night though... it is supposed to help with breast milk production... obviously in moderation though. :)

KimberlyAnn327 September 19th, 2010 07:19 AM

I'm staying away from caffeine, besides a little chocolate. :) That's it.

The Heather September 19th, 2010 08:28 AM

I'm not really avoiding anything. I am limiting my caffeine and have only had 1 alcoholic drink.

And as far as the beer for helping milk production, it is the brewer's yeast in it that helps. So if you don't like beer, you can take brewer's yeast in pill form.