JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   I hate cooking (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2223611-i-hate-cooking.html)

Love_the_Shoes January 19th, 2011 05:55 PM

I hate cooking

Aly loves real food but she also enjoys purees still and THANK GOODNESS b/c I hate cooking.

I mean, I actually dispise it. I am sad that I have to make Alyssa food now and will prob. become even more sad when she refuses puree food in the future.

I hate cooking so much that I should be eating specific foods for my hypoglycemia but instead I let myself crash and have my sugars get messed up b/c I hate cooking and would rather deal with low blood sugar than making scrambled eggs.

I suck at cooking. Honest to goodness, I follow the recipe to a T and I suck at it.

I feel like someone has to drag me into the kitchen to cook. I have prob. made Matt 10 dinners in the 5 years we have been living together.

I love the pancake and french toast idea and freezing them for our babies.

Two problems with this.

1.) I don't know how to make pancakes
2.) I don't have the energy to try and learn--or should I say desire to learn.

The feelings I have towards cooking are the same feelings I had trying to learn chemistry (and let me just say, that I was taking chem 1 in 12th grade, which kids who like school were taking that class in the 9th grade)--I had no desire for school.

Same feeling towards cooking.

Except, I have to learn to cook for Alyssa.

Someone please tell me why I hate cooking so much and how I can snap out of this and learn to enjoy it.

Do you know what I think one of the reasons is? It's b/c I suck at cooking and I'm tired of wasting all my energy on food that even a dog would turn his nose to.

You guys are going to prob. gasp when I say this--but tonight I made mashed potatoes...out of a box (I know!!) and guess what? They were soup. Not kidding. NOT KIDDING!! Soup. I followed the instructions and when I took them out of the microwave they were hard as a rock. I don't understand. So I put more milk in and stirred them and they turned into liquid..not potatoes. I kept trying to microwave them, thinking they will harden and perhaps resemble a potato again..but they didn't.

I ate them anyways and gave Aly them...but I could tell Matt was wincing with each bite--or more like slurp.

If I can't get instant mashed potatoes right, how can I get anything right?

Out of labor, stretch marks, leaking breasts, 2nd deg. tears, sleepless nights, ruined blouses and frazzled hair, I think this (cooking) is going to be my biggest challenge as a parent.

Help me!!!

mylene169 January 19th, 2011 06:22 PM

Re: I hate cooking

I've been making boxed mashed potatoes forever and I STILL screw them up! Mine always end up soupy so I add more flakes and then they're dry... Ah well!!

I'm not a great cook either, and I can't really say I like it. But I do it. And really that's what it's taken. I just have to do it, no one else is going to make dinner so I have to suck it up and just do it. We eat pretty simple meals. Tacos are a favorite around here. Half the time when some of the ladies here post what they're having for dinner I have to google it because I have no idea what they're talking about :lol: So find simple meals. If it has more than 5 steps, don't make it. See if your community college (if there's one near you) offers any cooking classes. I know ours does. Once you get a few staples down then you can start being more adventurous.

Twhylite21 January 19th, 2011 06:38 PM

I actually am the opposite and I love cooking. Since my parents live with us though my mom does a lot of the cooking to help and I actually miss cooking more sometimes.

Anyway, have you thought about doing one of those cooking places where you go and there's a group of women and you make a bunch of dishes together and then take them home for your freezer? something like this: Dream Dinners. I've had a few family members that really liked it, but it can get expensive. But it might be good to just get a few recipes down.

Mylene's suggestion about cooking classes would be good as well. A lot of cities offer cooking classes and most community colleges. A lot of cooking is just trial and error anyway though.

frgsonmysox January 19th, 2011 06:40 PM

Honestly, home made potatoes are easier to make then boxed. Chop some potatoes (not too small) and put in a large pot with water. Boil until soft (I keep the skins on mine and boil until the skin starts to break away from the potato. The skins have a lot of nutrients). Drain, mash, add milk and butter to proper consistency. Can't go wrong!

taralyn January 19th, 2011 07:52 PM

Instant mashed potatos really can be hard to make! I've messed them up a few times myself! I do like to cook, I'm not very good at it but I do like to try new recipes and things. I would seriously just try to keep it simple at first. Like Mylene said, taco's are easy and good...so are fajitas! You could always make some spaghetti or easy enchiladas something too! I would try not to stress about it too much and focus on simpe...and seriously if you have a crock pot, dig it out because nothing goes wrong in the crock pot! :) You'll figure out what works best for you!

And PS- I made your sloppy joe casserole last night Mylene and omg....soooooo gooooooood!!! :D

mylene169 January 19th, 2011 08:02 PM

Beth is so right about real mashed potatoes. I use sour cream or cream cheese instead of milk - so good!!

The sloppy joe casserole couldn't be easier or yummier! I'm glad so many people like it! :)

Love_the_Shoes January 20th, 2011 04:31 AM

I just have so much pressure b/c Matt is a genius in the kitchen and now that I'm home, I'm trying to make dinner and I know he is secretly cringing inside when he eats my food. And the crock pot idea is great but we only eat red meat once a week--try to eat it once every two weeks if possible. So other than a roast, what do you put in a crock pot?

Beth that does sound so much easier than the boxed stuff.

ugh.

mylene169 January 20th, 2011 06:56 AM

We do pork roasts more often than beef in the crockpot.

When I'm looking for new ideas for the crockpot I hit up this blog: A Year of Slow Cooking: Alphabetical Listing of Recipes This woman used a crockpot every day for a full year and made EVERYTHING in it! Even cake!!

J-V221 January 20th, 2011 07:34 AM

Ok, potatoes out of a box I can't seem to get them right! Try Idaho potatoes. They are real but in a powder form; put 2 cups water in mircowave safe bowl and mix in the potatoes, cook for 4 minutes and they are perfect every time. SERIOUS just try it. (they come in a pouch in the instant potato aisle) I think you hate cooking because you are frustrated that you can't grasp it the way you want. I bet you are a great cook! I'd say keep trying but keep your recipes simple. Don't try and do the harder style meal first because it is what it is.. hard. Search online for simple easy meals with only a few steps. Then once you get those down add more.

Keep on Keeping on Mama, you'll get it! ;) I have the same feelings towards baking, I can't do it but I keep trying.

Amanda C January 20th, 2011 08:06 AM

You wanna know the secret? Practice. Seriously I'm a good cook now but it took lots of practice. I can now turn out 30 pancakes in under 15 minutes and I used to not be able to make 1 in 15 minutes.

Get some new recipe books and find some things that look good to you and just try them out. After a while you'll be a pro at it!

JaxonsMom2010 January 20th, 2011 08:06 AM

I HATE cooking too. Here is a great crockpot cookbook (that someone here recommended) Amazon.com: Fix-it And Forget-it Cookbook (9781561483396): Dawn J Ranck, Phyllis Pellman Good: Books

And here is a cookbook that I really really want to buy: Amazon.com: Semi-Homemade The Complete Cookbook (9780470874059): Sandra Lee: Books

And I can't make box potatoes either.

Racine January 20th, 2011 10:12 AM

On the potatoes, if it's any consolation....cooking is my single greatest passion in life beyond my kids and yet anything I put in the microwave becomes inedible. We didn't even have a microwave for a year and I was happy as a lark. To me it's the devil.

If you don't enjoy it, the chances of you ever being awesome at it or liking it are very slim, so don't force it! Just try to find a solution that makes it work for you, like find five recipes you can alternate and just focus on getting really good at those. Once you feel comfortable with them, you can start adding variety or switching out certain ingredients.

People in your situation are such an inspiration for me to get my website up and running, I am really hoping it can help people who don't feel like they can prepare delicious, healthy meals for their family...because you absolutely can!

Shea131 January 20th, 2011 10:25 AM

I HATE COOKING TOO!!!!!!! Like really really really hate it!! So I feel ya!!! I would rather eat out or make frozen pizza or something...

Meganpixel January 20th, 2011 10:46 AM

I like cooking but I just don't have the time. I would suggest taking things slow. You have time to learn and I am sure it will get easier for you. I just the Cook's magazine...There are some really great simple easy recipes and tips. When I find the time I am going to read it....and supply you with all the tips lol :)

taralyn January 20th, 2011 11:00 AM

You can totally do chicken in the crockpot too! I just did some and it turned out super delish! But like Racine said, don't push it... just pick a couple of things and work on those.

And crockpot cake is seriously the bomb!! :)

ChrissySTL January 20th, 2011 11:17 AM

I agree with Racine, if you don't enjoy it, you an't really force it! Some people love jogging, others hate it. The people that hate jogging may try to do it to stay in shape-and may succeed-but they probably still don't actually like it, kwim? Same probably goes for cooking, If it's nto your cup of tea, it's not your cup of tea! I will say that I used to be very intimidated by cooking-and still am in a sense- but I enjoy it so much more now. It has taken me a few years to get the hang of it and I still mess things up a lot, but I am much more confident. I think findihg a handful of recipes that you enjoy, and that you feel comfortable making is a great start. Go from there! Tacos may be an easy option for you as well. We do meatless tacos a lot, or fajitas is pretty simple! There are lots of soups you can do in the crock pot that are really simple as well, or things you can freeze. I have a really good recipe for a lasagna made with eggplant instead of noodles, that is really simple and makes a ton-would be really good for freezing! I find a lot of recipes online and print them out and put them in a big binder if I like them and want to keep them to make again. It's like my own little cookbook!

DondraB January 20th, 2011 03:23 PM

Baking is the easiest thing for me to do.

Chicken breasts....put some garlic salt and squirt some Italian dressing on top--put in a glass pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 min....and viola!

Chicken legs...brush some bbq sauce on top, put them in a glass pan, bake at 375 for an hour...and they are done!

Then add some sides....mac n cheese, broccoli and cheese (boil water, add frozen broccoli...then drain water, cut up some velveeta cheese and put on top of broccoli and mix) you can do "baked" potatoes in the microwave...wash off potatoes in water...then wrap each potatoe in saran wrap-NOT foil- then poke a few holes in them with a knife and put in the microwave for like 10-15 min or until you can squish them in your hand (but put a pot holder on first they will be hot!) Or open a can of green beans/peas/corn as a side.

I also do a roast--you CANNOT mess this up! Heat oven to 400....in an oven safe pot with a lid put these ingredients in:

stew meat (comes in a package already cut into cubes)
can of cream of chicken soup
can of cream of mushroom soup
can of french onion soup
1.5 cans of water
baby carrots

just put them all in the pan with lid and put in oven for an hour at 400 degrees, then turn down to 200 for 3 hours.....take out after the 4 hours and its done! I pour the gravy over bread, and thats pretty much all you need since its got the meat and carrots! (you can even cut up some potatoes after you peel them and put them in the pan as well when you are making it-)

Tacos are def easy...or taco salads (what we are having tonight!) Or just a simple sandwich you can jazz up...put some shredded cheese on top and toast them like at Subway or Quiznos!

Or even Shake N Bake is easy too! Just buy some chicken breasts, tenderloins, legs and follow the instructions!

When we first got married I was 18, never lived outside my parents house, never cooked a meal besides eggs...so I just had to learn and figure it out! I would ask my mom and DH's mom for some recipes of easy meals...I just started there then got a little adventurous! I made chicken fried steaks once...but it took me like an hour to make them and my kitchen was a disaster--wasn't worth the 10 minutes of eating it for me! lol although dh loved them!

or do breakfast for dinner (oh btw I don't make pancakes...we buy frozen ones) eggs, bacon, toast...easy!!

It does get easier once you get the hang of it! I always try new things and tell DH to tell me the honest truth! If he doesn't like it, I won't make it again...if he does like it he will tell me!

TettymuhBear January 20th, 2011 04:29 PM

I don't really cook (except for speghetti & chicken alfredo)...unless box dinners count. But anways, i always wanted DH to come help me just so i wouldn't feel so isolated n anti-social in the kitchen all by myself.

Love_the_Shoes January 20th, 2011 06:49 PM

Again, thanks for the links and some more recipes ( I think I asked you ladies to give me recipes a couple weeks ago--and I kept them--printed them out).

Matt made dinner tonight--LOL!! I guess he really wanted a meal that tasted like food and not salt. Poor guy.

But, you girls would be proud---tonight at the grocery store, I walked RIGHT PAST the frozen pancakes! I am determined to try and make some this Sunday and freeze them for Aly's b-fast next week.

But you girls are right--I need really simple recipes..but that's hard b/c I'm so used (and Matt is so used) to eating things with marinades and spices.

Racine--GET THAT SITE UP!!! I am so serious--I would follow it.

Amanda C January 21st, 2011 06:41 AM

You can do it! Just make sure you use a good skillet and let it heat up before you put the pancake mix in. A good hot skillet is the most important thing when making pancakes.

I always make mine in huge bathces and freeze them. Then dd and ds eat them for breakfast.