JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   BF Mamas (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2224668-bf-mamas.html)

DondraB January 20th, 2011 02:38 PM

BF Mamas

are you giving your baby a sippy cup regularly??

Karsyn has a sippy cup sometimes with a little diluted juice/water in it, and sometimes we give it to her in a bottle. I told DH I wanted to start giving her a sippy cup more often and he was like uhh is that a good idea? He said well if she has a sippy cup, then she will be used to drinking from that and have a different latch while breastfeeding. I hadn't really thought about it that much, but once he said it I started watching her with the sippy. She can drink out of it, but she mostly likes to bite and pull on the spout! She doesn't do this with the bottle......and she's started doing this to my nipple lately too! I don't think I'm going to give her a sippy as much for the next 3 months.....I want her to keep nursing like normal and NOT bite me! lol I plan to stop nursing at a year (if she'll let me! lol) so then I'll give her a sippy more often.

Did that make sense? lol

frgsonmysox January 20th, 2011 04:26 PM

Re: BF Mamas

We don't use a sippy cup at all. I'm the sole source of any liquids, and will remain that way until well after the first birthday.

I know some of my nursing friends did have latch issues when their child used a cup. It is a different kind of latch

Twhylite21 January 20th, 2011 04:39 PM

Violet drinks mainly from a regular cup if we give her any liquid (water or expressed breastmilk). She uses a sippy sometimes as well, but her nursing latch hasn't changed. She doesn't get a cup daily though.

krissy1989 January 20th, 2011 05:29 PM

I only give Caleb a sippy with a little water or diluted juice in it when he's eating, in case he needs a quick drink to wash the food down (since he's not eating purees, this often occurs). I've tried breastfeeding when he needs a quick drink, but letdown doesn't happen fast enough for a quick drink. :)

mylene169 January 20th, 2011 06:33 PM

Kolbie get a sippy cup or straw cup at least once a day because she throws the fit of all fits when she sees Kaija has one and she doesn't. I haven't noticed any problems with her latch.

palmetto_moon January 20th, 2011 06:40 PM

Mia hasn't figured out her sippy yet. FWIW, it seems like the latch from my breast to the bottle is different anyhow...she took a while to get the hang of her bottle since we just started supplementing. So far, I've only supplemented very little, so maybe that's why.

krissy1989 January 20th, 2011 06:46 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't notice any change in his latch, but he doesn't get the sippy very often right now. :)

..Penelope.. January 20th, 2011 06:49 PM

Logan mainly bites his straw sippy, the silly goose, so he just has a little water out of a shot glass when he is eating food. I have tried giving him breast milk for a drink, but he isn't interested in nursing right after eating food, because he usually just nursed.

mum74 January 21st, 2011 02:03 AM

My second ds self weaned at 11.5mths 2 weeks after going back to daycare. I didn't realise until too late that his stupid Tommee Tippee sippy cup 'nipple' was so hard that he had to bite down on it to get the milk out.... therefore he continually bit me until I was bleeding and he weaned that way. I much later realised how hard it was to get milk out of the sippy cup, so in hindsight I realise he was doing the same thing to me when nursing (biting down every time)...so I put it as the major contributor to his weaning which made me mad!

Layla is having water from a water bottle - it is summer here and very hot so I offer her water as well as nurse more often... it's just a normal kid's water bottle though and I hold it and help control the flow of it so she doesn't get too much...so she doesn't really suck on it for long.

LoveMyGuys January 21st, 2011 11:19 AM

Cohen does drink water from a sippy occasionally. Hasn't affected bf'ing at all for us.

Mommy2SB January 21st, 2011 08:54 PM

I'm just BF and haven't tried a sippy cup at all yet. Don't want to confuse him as he already doesn't take the bottle so great. Only drinks one or two bottles all day when I am at work. So I think sippy cup will complicate things. Just going to hold off on that for the time being.