JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Question for all the runners! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2359206-question-for-all-runners.html)

kemper2.0 June 26th, 2011 09:40 PM

Question for all the runners!

DH and I are going to start training for a half marathon soon and I need some advice on good running shoes. There are so many different kinds on the market and I'm not really sure where to start looking. I am brand spanking new to running (because it's one of my least favorite things to do) so I am clueless.

What shoes do you wear running?

Why?

J9+J+C=Complete June 27th, 2011 05:35 AM

Re: Question for all the runners!

I strongly recommend you go to a running store and have your stride analyzed. You need shoes specific to your strengths/weaknesses particularly when you are increasing mileage. Do you have a runnin store near you? They'll out you on a treadmill and video tape just your feet while you run for thirty seconds. Then theyll bring out a few samples in your area of need. I tend to overpronate so I need support shoes that are designed to force my feet to run flatter and not let me roll my left foot (gymnastics injury from back in the day). It is night and day when you run in a pair of shoes designed to help you. If you are one of the lucky ones that has a perfect stride, they can still recommend good shoes for you. I personally love my revennas (Brooks) but a lot of my running club girls swear by saucony. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

VeronicaBride June 27th, 2011 05:46 AM

Ditto to everything Jeanine said. I love my Saucony's but which type of shoe you get should depend on your own gait. What half marathon are you going to do?

kemper2.0 June 27th, 2011 08:55 PM

We're going to a shoe store that specifies in running tomorrow!! I'm so excited. I'll let you know the results :)

Jen- We haven't picked a specific marathon yet. There are several a month here from July-October. Perks of living in Dallas!

Do you think 3 months is long enough to train?

J9+J+C=Complete June 28th, 2011 05:30 AM

3 months is perfect! Any more and you start losing your momentum (like what happened to me with Disney when I did 17 wks). 12 wks is great especially if you have three or four miles under your belt rather quickly. Good luck!!

kemper2.0 June 30th, 2011 09:36 AM

I am the proud owner of a pair of Brooks Ghost 4 running shoes! I went to a store called Run On! and they did what you all said they would and watched me walk/run and brought out shoes they thought would work best for me. I tried on some Saucony, but ultimately decided on Brooks. They felt the most natural and I really like them!

As far as actually running... Umm, not a fan so far. I can go to the gym and lift weights like nobody's business, but when it comes to running -- I'M A WEENIE!! I'm hoping that if I stick with it things will get easier. DH is a great motivator too :)

J9+J+C=Complete June 30th, 2011 07:32 PM

Love my Brooks! Keep with it! It'll get easier!

RunningWithBoys July 19th, 2011 07:01 PM

I know A LOT of distance runners who run in Brooks.
GOOD LUCK!! It does get easier, I promise. Just keep at it.

Come post in our runner's thread! We'll keep you motivated and accountable. I could not have made it through my training for the half without those girls!